1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congratulations To The new Mom and, well, Mom.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Dec 6, 2006.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Boy did I misinterpret what you meant. Within the context of the conversation up until your post, I thought you were telling us that your mom was a lesbian. But she didn't want you to grow up without a dad. So she found a butch lesbian who made herself look like a man, and the JackS family lived happily ever after. Glad you clarified things!

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

::)

That argument has never flown here. My father walked out when I was four months old, yet I seem to have turned out just fine despite coming from a single-parent household.

3. JackS

JackS Member

I didn't say anyone didn't (or couldn't) turn out fine. I said I'm grateful my mother didn't make a conscious decision to raise me in a family without a father.

And from your post above, your mother didn't either. Furthermore, are you glad to have had a father who walked out? How far should we carry this conversation in an effort to make me look like a villain?

Let's just stop now.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The value of two loving parents has been well-established. The value of a supportive male role model has been well-established.

In regards to the raising of a child, though, I'd much rather a child have two loving moms than a half-hearted mom and dad. And there tend to be a LOT of those out there ...

5. JackS

JackS Member

I agree with that.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My stepmother's partner has two kids. Her children, raised by two women, are far better adjusted than my siblings. How well adjusted a person is has very little to do with whether or not they had both a mother and a father and far more to do with how the parent or parents they did have raised them.

And I'm far better off to have not had my father in my life on a regular basis. My siblings on my father's side are proof of that.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I think it depends on the individuals involved and not on gender. I would have been much better off raised by just my dad than the both of them.

8. JackS

JackS Member

I think it depends on the individuals too, but nobody's gonna convince me two good moms is as good as a good mom and a good dad.

If that makes me a bigot, then I'm a bigot.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

why does it make a difference, then?

why can't two good moms raise just as good of a kid as a good mom and a good dad?

10. 2muchcoffeeman

Given what I know about my father ... yes. Yes, I am. And she was the one who filed the papers (which I've read).

11. JackS

JackS Member

It's not necessarily that they couldn't raise as good of a kid, it's that the kid gets "cheated" out of the experience of having a father. As someone who had both a good mother and a good father, I think I'm eminently qualified to make that statement. I can just think back on my life and subtract all the experiences I had with my father that I never could have had with a second mother.

Find me someone who had both a good mother and a good father and isn't grateful for it.

P.S. to coffeeman: You didn't answer my question. I didn't ask if you were glad your father walked out. I asked if you were glad to have had a father who walked out. There's a big difference.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

ps. to JackS: Failed your reading comprehension again? I did in fact answer that question. If he'd stayed around, I might have ended up like you.

Draft saved Draft deleted