1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congratulations To The new Mom and, well, Mom.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Contacted at Williams Sonoma, the father declined comment.
    http://www.chefsresource.com/turkey-baster.html

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Hence, the crewcut which sucked in the '70s. I'm so jealous that my boys have their mom's hair and can get it feathered back.

3. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I could never get that feathered 'do either.....I was always jealous of the kid with the nice feathered part and a wavy mullet. I couldn't pull either off....but I tried.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

OK, here's the thing that confuses me about some gay and lesbian couples... This is as good a place as any to throw this out there... I'm sure I will be excoriated, but I don't mean any offense to anyone...

I understand the being a lesbian part, being attracted to women and doing things to your appearance to make yourself more man-ish (presumably because you feel like a man trapped in a woman's body).

What I don't get is why they are attracted to each other.

If you are one of them, presumably you are attracted to women. But you are going for a woman who is making herself seem more like a man--in appearance and through mannerisms. That doesn't make sense to me. If you were into men, presumably you wouldn't be with a woman. And if you are into women, why be with a woman who is trying to look like a man?

I don't begrudge them their life together. I just can't figure out why they work for each other.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Ragu --

It's not just you. Whenever I see two butch types together, I wonder how that works.

At least guys have the top/bottom delineation to offer up.

Never had the stones to ask, though...

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I can't really answer your question, Ragu ... but one small point: I don't think there's anything about being a lesbian that means "feeling like a man in a woman's body."

Having an attraction to women is not the same thing as "feeling like a man."

And for what it's worth, not all heterosexual men are attracted to women who are very "girly" -- in appearances or in mannerisms. Just because you're attracted to women doesn't mean you have to be attracted to a partner who exhibits many feminine traits. I imagine the same goes for lesbians, as well.

But not all lesbians are "butches", either, even though that's a popular stereotype. One of my best friends in Colorado is a lesbian, and she's more feminine than most of the heterosexual girls I'm friends with. So there's a wide range of people, a wide range of attractions -- just as there is with heterosexuals.

That said, you pose an interesting question. Sorry I don't have more of an answer than that.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well, I do suspect part of the answer would offer somethign about not being attracted to a male-fantasy version of a woman, but rather her strength and intelligence, etc.

But that doesn't explain it all.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'm with Ragu.

I understood Anne Heche and Ellen Degeneres.

I didn't understand k.d. lang and Martina Navratalova

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My stepmother's partner is about as feminine as you get. Typical Southern belle, big hair, lots of makeup, very soft-spoken, etc. My stepmother's always been on the butch side, not k.d. lang-Martina Butch level, but shorter hair, very jockish.

10. JackS

JackS Member

I'm just grateful my mother didn't make a conscious decision to raise me in a family without a father.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Random bigoted statement from the far right there, BW. Feel free to ignore it.

12. JackS

JackS Member

Yeah, what a bigot I am for not dismissing the value of a father.

Draft saved Draft deleted