1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congratulations AP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It only took you 67 minutes into the season before you ran your first two fucking dimwit cliched "pitcher hangs head in dejection as batter rounds bases in background" pictures. Looking forward to 9,000 more over the next six months.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I can only assume this means nobody has turned a double play yet.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Up until this morning I'd have said "Big whoop. There's only so many angles you can get good, clean shots from in most ballparks."
    And then I did a search on AP Exchange looking for a random spring training picture to run with a preview story.
    Holy crap, there were some great shots turned in by those Florida photogs in the last two weeks.
    Unique angles (including a couple shots of outfielders chasing down fly balls taken from behind the fence), cool stuff that played with the lighting, sun and silhouettes, crisp action shots. It blew my mind that we can get this from spring training, but the next six months are going to be humdrum.
    Is it just better access at these smaller spring training parks that lets them try some different things? Maybe they can get in some nooks and crannies that aren't available (or are off-limits) at the big league parks? The photogs in Florida can't be THAT much better and more creative than the big-market AP guys, can they?

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, I understand Starman's frustration, but I also don't know how many papers or websites are going to want art shots of suns and silhouettes or whatever -- or even great action of a fly ball being chased down in the fifth inning.

The problem with news photos is that they have to show the news, too, and certainly a pitcher giving up a game-losing home run is part of what you're talking about.

The double-play turn? Completely different story.

5. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Completely agree with Starman. Sometimes I get the feeling AP photogs don't even try anymore.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Something tells me it isn't that simple, that maybe hearing their side of the story would add some perspective.

Or maybe I'm wrong, and the only people stretched thin and doing what two or three people used to do are writers and deskers.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There are 2,600 baseball games a year, not including playoffs. I'm pretty sure they ran out of new shots to take years ago.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

It's vantage points. Photographers are confined to certain spots at MLB parks. You can pretty much roam anywhere in ST, and the parks are so much smaller. Plus, no one is looking for "news" shots from ST games.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I also think it's partly about repetition. Once you've shot your 60th game of the season, you might as well be creatively tapped. The Florida guys are shooting, what, 10 or 15 games a year?

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Some of "Florida guys" are regular AP shooters sent there for a few weeks.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Getty and US Presswire are the way to go, if you can afford them.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And if they cover every game . . . which they don't.

Draft saved Draft deleted