1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congratulate me, I just survived my 25-year high school reunion

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pressboxer, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Haven't been to any and won't go. Didn't much enjoy high school.

2. Did you see Mystery_Meat's post the other day ... the one about when TGD will catch up with Dooley?

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Bubbler, as usual, LOL f---ing funny.

I skipped my 20th this year, in much the same way I skipped my 10th -- told a bunch of people I was really seriously thinking about going, then backed out at the last second.

Thanks to the wonder that is the Internet, many people sent pictures from the gathering.

I wondered whyinthehell people were sending me all these pictures of 38-year-old teachers and real estate agents and insurance salesmen. Then I realized, "Holy shit, I went to high school with these people."

And one sentence from a friend's report summed it up: "Pretty much everybody gathered up in the same cliques they stuck to in high school." Thanks, but no.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I didn't go to my 10th reunion. I was fat, unemployed, fat and unpopular. I didn't need it. Was the girl I had a high school-long crush on going to give up her D.C. job and her husband because of a sudden desire for *this*? Hells no. There's talk of a 15th reunion, but I'd rather think of something more pleasant, like anything and everything else in the world's history.

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Re my next high school reunion (the 35th):

A few weeks ago I bought Michael Apted's Up series of DVDs (y'know 7up, 7+7, 21Up, 28Up, 35Up, 42Up ... and 49 Up will be out this month). Watched it start to finish, a 14+hr heartwrenchathon with Mrs FoF. I will attend 49Up instead of any reunion. Clearly the greatest documentary project in cinematic history.

You know, reunions reward the misanthropes. I'm not one. I can stand watching myself grow old, but I hate seeing friends age--and I take no pleasure in the misery of those who I never liked.

YHS, etc

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What's my chances of scoring at my 20-year reunion next year?

I haven't seen any of those people in 20 years. Or at least 19. Haven't even lived in that area in 15 years. Didn't enjoy my HS years. But over that now. I think I've held up decent over the years, and could work myself into grand shape by the time my reunion rolls around next year. Then I can return as the conquering hero. Problem is, there were only 79 people in my graduating class. Half were guys. So there won't be many women to choose from.

I feel like going back in the role of alpha male and seeing what happens.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You could do one of the guys. Open your horizons a little. You won't be back for another five years at least.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I didn't have much desire to score with any of the girls in my graduating class of 98 people way back in 1987. Even if I weren't married now, I'm pretty sure -- based on what I saw at the 10-year reunion -- that scoring with them 20 years later wouldn't be that appealing.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

My 10-year reunion was a year and a half ago. I did not go. I was friends with probably four people that I really considered FRIENDS and I caught up with a few of them online. I despised everyone else I went to HS with.

Sorry.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I had a lot of friends in high school ... but they were almost all sophomores when I was a senior. Now, THAT was a cool class. It even had a future Mrs. America who later became Mrs. John Warner (or his pre-Liz mistress ... I forget which).

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I missed the fifth because I had just taken a job a couple thousand miles away. I went to the 10th, missed the 15th and 20th, went to the 25th and will go to the 30th in June. I also went a few months ago because the class just ahead of mine was celebrating. And I went the year after my 25th because the class behind mine was celebrating. For my 25th I had the task of finding the alumni nobody else could find and I found all of them, although it turned out a few didn't want to be found. But others were flattered we'd go to all that trouble to look for them.

A couple people who were assholes in 1977 turned out human. Really there was only one braggart and he just can't help himself. I had a great time. I'm mulling whether I want to volunteer to be the stalker again who has to find the "lost alumni."

It was a small school and I knew almost everyone. There was one lost guy who I couldn't remember, and he wasn't in the yearbook, but I found him living in Colorado. I called him and he said, "Yeah, I remember you. You played soccer." I said, "I played soccer very badly." He said, "Yup, that's you!"

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

My 10-year is next summer, and I'm going.

I'm going to be a total dork about it too. Work out a little more, maybe GET A FUCKING HAIRCUT -- hell maybe even a manicure.

I'm going to drag Dr. J kicking and screaming.

My senior year was my worst year of high school. I was really popular until I made some bad choices. But I still look good, am happily married and prepared to laugh at all the losers who were just plain bad people in my class.

Draft saved Draft deleted