1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congrats to Whitlock

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Mar 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I miss so much here. I didn't know he outed anybody, and I didn't know he had left.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Way to go Big Man! Well deserved You are in good company. I noticed that your pal Mike Royko is on the list of winners.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This guy has pissed a few people off, sure, but I never got the opinion he has ever blown smoke up anyone's ass either. What he says, he means. Congrats.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Somewhere he's getting a stiffy and not knowing why.

5. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

Suddenly feel like I'm in high school again. Which is somehow fitting, since my 20th reunion is only a couple months away.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I've never read a columnist I agreed with 100 percent one day and disagreed with 100 percent the next. Pretty good writer, but I can't think of many sports journalists more in love with himself than "Big Sexy."

The worst thing about Whitlock? I've seen him at games with a handful of young 'uns who are pretending to be pals with him.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Then I guess you regard that term differently than I do, which I can accept.

But, in terms of his professional life, cowardice is the last insult that would apply. I've never found anything special about his writing ability. Instead, what has distinguished him over the years is his consistent willingness to voice controversial words others think but won't say without fear of the backlash. It's also the trait that got him fired from ESPN and in other hot water over the years. To some extent, lack of cowardice is what made him. Without that, most of us never would've heard of him.

8. Jones

Jones Active Member

I'm picturing the Keebler elves, worming in and out of their big-ass tree.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

A big giant fraud who misses the irony in criticizing the street culture yet using odious terms such as "pimp hand."

If he never wrote again, the English language would be better for it.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Whoever created that ad campaign had to have been on acid.

11. I'm predicting this thread will be locked well before I wake up tomorrow. And I can't sleep in.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Maybe....but hopefully the mods will let the board pick at the fat bastard for a while.

I'm not sure cowardly is exactly the right word for what he did, but he did prove himself to be a complete asshole.

He'd post on here plenty to serve his own ego, but he never treated the board or the people on it with any respect, so it is no surprise that he broke arguably the most important rule here. Arrogant prick simply felt he was above such things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.