1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congrats to Katherine Heigl on getting to leave the dumbest show on television

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Feb 10, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I wasn't trying to make it a gender war. I'm telling you that I know LOTS of people who have done exactly what you're saying never happens. Welcome to every bar hookup ever.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

How many times do I have to repeat that this is not about believability? You keep saying, "Well it could have happened." Of course it COULD have happened, just like an icicle really COULD have fallen and impaled Christina. A bear could have mauled Derek in the woods, stolen his keys and lived in his trailer.

It doesn't just doesn't make any freaking sense.

3. imjustagirl

I never paused.

4. Happened to me all the time.
    Yeah, that's the ticket.

5. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

Re: Congrats to Katherine Heigl on getting to leave the dumbest show on televisi

Me, either. It happens all the time in bars. It's happened more often when I've been at a gay bar, then when I've been at the martini bar my friends and I used to frequent. My gay friends would make out with random guys all night. Sometimes without even saying a word to them.

My best friend and I were in New Orleans and within 30 minutes of being there, she had the bartender putting his signature on her breasts and making out with her. It happens. I didn't ever think it was even unusual. I understand some of the story lines being things that don't happen in every day life, but really are you going to watch a show that has emergency bypass procedures and appy's and birthed babies every episode. It's a medical drama, except unusual things to happen. If you don't, then you're a fool. (nothing personal meant by that, I just don't understand the idea that weird things aren't going to happen on a medical drama).

6. imjustagirl

Well, judging by your avatar, Fenian, you are quite dashing. I could see that.

7. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

Not the response I expected from ijag.

I, do however, know a guy it happens to all the time. He's a television anchor and a complete egomaniac, but he ends up making out with a random girl every time he goes out to a bar.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I agree with DD about Arizona.

Erika Hahn was a great character in the beginning-- but Shonda et al didn't have near enough patience with her.

Think back to when she was rivals with Burke and working at Mercy West. That was quality stuff. She had a real mean streak.

I even bought the beginning of the relationship with Callie. And Callie wasn't totally into her. Then she threatened to create a huge stink about the Denny/Izzie incident and make things really bad for the hospital. And I thought, "Oooh, how uncomfortable. This is a great storyline." And that was Erika Hahn's last scene.

A great way to go with that would've been for Callie to realize she wasn't a lesbian afterall-- it was just experimentation. And that does happen in real life -- very believable. Then Hahn becomes a bit unhinged. Not quite to the level of stalker, but we see that mean streak emerge again.

In fact, I think that's where Shonda was headed, but between the fact that audiences didn't like Hahn (well duh, seize on that, make her a real bitch)... and being caught in the pressure of P.C. gay politics because of the Knight/Washington incident... I think they didn't want to make a lesbian a villain.

So instead of the mean, badass bitch villain Hahn, we get Arizona Robbins *** smile ***. Gag.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I didn't dislike the Arizona-Callie kiss because I found it implausible. I understand that people sometimes randomly kiss each other - especially in television.

I disliked it because it was predictable. I saw the Callie-Hahn romance coming, and saw this coming the moment the scene started. And I know I'm not alone.

And when Grey's Anatomy gets UNpredictable, we get off-the-tracks stuff like Izzy having Ghost Sex with Denny, a character who had long since run his course (as I apparently posted in a thread two years ago).

Grey's (Gray's? I never remember) still has its moments. I like Christina's GI Doc because he;s interesting . . .but when he saw those people coming out of the elevator and got upset, was that a war-related flash? His ex-wife? Not sure; if either one, a cliche I can do without.

When this show was consistently great (and it was), the cases were compelling and emotional, but believable. The first two seasons were excellent, just about every week. Finny, interesting, good character chemistry without having ton screw all the time . . .the only significant moment that didn't ring true at the time was during the bomb scare, when Izzy jumped and said "We're doers!!!" and then proceeded to, um, DO Alex Karev. You know, the dude who cheated on her with ugly nurse girl?

(Though that now makes perfect sense considering the way they write Izzy now, from a "Trying to prove I deserve respect!" intern from a trailer park, to a complete dunce who makes decisions equally poor when it comes to men and career).

Even plots like Isiah Washington's surgical issues, while risky, were so well-played by the actors (Sandra Oh, give her a damn Emmy already) that I was sucked in. George's dad's death . . . very well-done. And maybe the beginning of Izzy's true descent, when George asked her to butt out (his frackin' dad was dying!) and she played the Denny card.

The show lost itself when ABC asked for "an EVENT!!!!!" and the three-parter was spawned from that. That was when the show stopped earning its emotional payoffs, and that was when they lost sight of the fact that good, consistent storytelling was what established the show as one very entertaining weekly hour.

They have had some good stretches since, absolutely. Some good humor, finally getting Meredith to shit or get off the pot with McDreamy, having McSteamy stay free of drama (for the most part; I don't like where this is going with Lexi), etc.

But they were clearly out of ideas when they had George and Izzy sleep together. And they made a conscious decision to piss away all the post-"Meredith falling off the dock" recovery when they brought back Denny as part of Izzy's contrived drama.

I agree with DoubleDown; while Shonda Rimes' rise and success is spectacular for other women and African Americans who seek a similar opportunity, that opportunity also comes with scrutiny. It is because the show was so excellent in its early years, that now a letdown is well, a major letdown.

Like Twin Peaks. Like Alias. Like Heroes. Like Smallville (shaddup!).

And yes, like my beloved Gilmore Girls.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Re: Congrats to Katherine Heigl on getting to leave the dumbest show on televisi

Not so fast. Creator says Knight and Heigl are both staying on the show ...

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=352620&GT1=28103

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Still believe Knight's role on the show is clearly being written out, episode by episode.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I really liked the crossover this week.

But it also shows where the show is.

Addison returns, and the chemistry between she and McDreamy (and McSteamy, for that matter) is better than anything either Grey lady has with those dudes. Meredith clearly is not part of McDreamy's world, except as herself, as an individual. Not with her group of friends. They don't form a new social circle that includes him as an equal, because he's not. He's their boss.

And people like Izzy and O'Malley are relegated to this dumb plotline that involves the interns. They used to be part of the backbone of the show. Now they're children.

Draft saved Draft deleted