1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congrats to Katherine Heigl on getting to leave the dumbest show on television

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Some of this comes down to what the show can afford. It's a huge hit, but I'm guessing the producers don't want the cast to become like ER where at one point they were paying the regulars $15 million an episode. Get rid of Heigl and Knight and that frees up a lot of $$$.

2. My daughter will be arriving at Chez DD any moment with a samurai sword.
    His man card will be worth more on eBay about five minutes later.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

There is no way the show is "going to be better." The problem isn't Heigl's attitude or Knight's diva behavior.

It's Shonda Rimes' writing.

Seriously. (As they would say on the show.)

Miranda's character has been completely betrayed in an attempt to soften her, to the point where she is asking Dr. Shepard to let other patients die so that she can save her patients. It's insulting, coming from someone who was supposed to be the moral center of the show.

Throw in the fact that Steven Speilberg's step-daughter is has a super-hero's name (Arizona Robbins? You're kidding, right?) and that she just happened to suck face with Callie "Sometimes I'm a lesbian, but mostly when the plot calls for it" Torres even though they barely know one another, is absurd.

Melissa George, the English doc, is an idiot and is credited with pretty much ruining Alias after two really good seasons, so I feel no sympathy for her whatsoever.

The whole Owen/Yang thing is bizarro. The Seven-Year-Itch thing where he took her in that weird boiler room and had steam blow up her skirt seemed like it came from another show. Plus, I still believe he's a werewolf. The scene outside the bar earlier this year where Christian grabbed him from behind and he spun around with menace in his eyes felt like it had been taken from a Buffy The Vampire script. Just insane.

Mizzou is exactly right. Heigl told the truth about the awful writing, and to get back at her, they tried to intentionally ruin her career. The entire thing is a gigantic mess. The only reason ABC hasn't hit the panic button yet is because 17 million people are still watching it, but that is going to change, I promise.

4. Mizzougrad96

It's not like we're talking about Lipstick Jungle here. Those of us who are married, most of us watch a couple shows that we wouldn't watch if we were single.

5. Mizzougrad96

Heigl is the show's biggest star and that embarrasses the writers. Forget about Knocked Up, but the success of a movie like 27 Dresses shows that Heigl has the drawing power to be a movie star. Nobody else on that show can even come close to making that claim. Dempsey was in Enchanted, but that movie was successful because of Amy Adams, not him.

Sandra Oh is a great actress, but nobody is going to be asking her to open a movie anytime soon.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

For the first time in the history of this board, Mizzou and I are in total agreement. I wouldn't be complaining this much about the show if it was just some ditzy drama. It really was tolerable in the way that some shows are tolerable because you watch them with your wife. And because it once had some critical value, it deserves a bit more scorn for becoming what it is. A total joke.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I own several seasons of the Gilmore Girls on DVD.

Now who holds the man cards?

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The cat with the nonexistent hairy balls.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

... and I'm going to miss Lipstick Jungle too ... and Dirty Sexy Money too ...

Sometimes, you guys need to realize your tastes may not be universal. :p

10. Mizzougrad96

Dirty Sexy Money was a cool show... I'm very sorry to see it go...

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, thank you.

12. sg86

sg86 Member

Dirty Sexy Money was great.

For everyone who complains about the writing on Grey's, it has to be hard to put together 22 episodes a year when two of the biggest stars on your show can't ever seem to be satisfied.

I'm willing to bet that cutting out the on-set drama could do wonders to salvage the show.

Although, as time passes, I'm starting to believe that Marti Noxon was the glue that held the show together. Ever since she left to run Private Practice, things have been a lot worse.

I actually think that thematically, Private Practice is much better than Grey's Anatomy right now. The characters are slightly worse, but I think Noxon does a much better job with it than Rhimes is doing with Grey's.

In a perfect world, they'd axe Private Practice and bring Addison, Pete, Charlotte and Cooper over to Grey's.

Draft saved Draft deleted