1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congrats to APSE writing winners

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hwkcrz1, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Let the annual recriminations begin!

2. Trunkmonkey

Trunkmonkey Member

I won two honorable mentions! Hooray for me! Do I still get a plaque??? Who won in the "Best Prep Roundup On A Busy Thursday Night After Your Part-Timer Got Laid Off By The Fucks At Corporate" category????

3. ringer

ringer Active Member

Seriously, where can we find the winning articles?

The APSE site doesn't even have a write-up saying what all the subjects were.

4. ReyHeath

ReyHeath Member

Serious question - do these matter anymore? Measure of good work - according to a select few? A means of getting a better job - with no jobs available?

What do they mean?

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Do you think in a year or two, once there are fewer than 20 papers in each circulation category, that our papers will continue to celebrate being among the 20 honored in each circulation category? "Woohoo, we repeated as an honorable mention Triple Crown!"

6. ringer

ringer Active Member

I think they do matter.

First - writers get such little feedback, it's nice to know which pieces resonate.

Second - at least the APSE awards are more competitive than those popular "Best Sports Writing" books whose content is always determined by one person (the editor) and always seems to include the same subset of writers.

Now if only we could actually read the damn winners...

7. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

The Island Packet is in Hilton Head. The winners, Jeff Kidd and Justin Jarrett, are fantastic journalists. Jeff is now the editor of the Beaufort Gazette, and Justin is the ASE of the combo sports section of The Island Packet and The Beaufort Gazette.

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

The APSEs are bullshit for not having a weekly paper category [angryreporterwhowantstocompetefornationalawardsnotjustsmallstateones]

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Canzano.... I love it.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Congrats to some friends (Mark Lazerus and Nick Pietruskiewicz) whose names I missed when the original list came out. Both got top-5 finishes. Yay!

Also congrats to Justin Jarrett and Kevin Van Valkenburg, whom I'm pretty sure I congratulated when the top 10 was announced.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

They used to be a good resume builder. Not anymore. As we've all seen lately, nothing matters -- not how talented you are, how many awards you've won, how much ass you kiss....nothing.

Also, congrats to Brian Plasters and Dave Birkett.

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Worst fucking paper ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted