1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congrats Jelisa Castrodale - "Jeopardy!" winner

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WolvEagle, Sep 21, 2010.

1. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Jelisa, from NBC's "Out of Bounds" won tonight, knocking off the six-time champ (and single-day winnings record holder). She won $39,999 - and the final category was sports and media - which major city's daily had "Amen" (and some other words) as its headline after the Super Bowl?

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

What is New Orleans?

Where do I collect my money?

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

What is the Jacksonville Panthers?

[/Jeopardy contestant a few mos ago]

4. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

She also has the fantastic Twitter handle @gordonshumway

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Journalism does pay off!

6. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

I could be mistaken, because the volume wasn't all the way up, but watching Jeopardy at the office last week (might have been a rerun) and I swear a contestant answered a question about a certain Denver Broncos QB as "Who is Dan Elway?"

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Is Jeopardy getting easier? No way should that have been a Final question. Same with the guy who won with the "Movie Title Objects" question on the Bridge on The River Kwai.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

You should see the message boards. They're claiming Roger got screwed because the FJ question was sports and she's a sports writer. Never mind they plan those games and boards in advance and don't select from the contestant pool until just before the start of each episode's taping.

This was just some funny coincidence. It's happened before with contestants getting a category or FJ question in his or her field.

9. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Steveu - I thought the same thing. They can't tell me that they can't switch out the question. They've got lots of them banked. When I saw the subject, I knew that Roger was toast. It almost seemed like it was rigged against him.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yah, I too think it was rigged against him. He was raking up tons and tons of money -- as noted, he set the single-day record. But the fact two of the three didn't get it was pretty bad.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't think the show's getting easier, but sometimes they serve up incredibly easy finals, imo.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It doesn't get any easier than Celebrity Jeopardy, aka Jeopardy for Morons.

Draft saved Draft deleted