1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Confronted by Richard Marx

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 11, 2013.

1. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

Google "Richard Marx Fountain of Health." The guy is absolutely shameless. Seems fairly self-aware, though.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Hilarious.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=MLhW9ifc1Gc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DMLhW9ifc1Gc

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

"Mike Damone's a little prick!"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It was cheap. It was a story written hoping to get another blow up from Marx, so the guy could write another story.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

So who gives a shit if he's a wuss? Has that any relevance to whether his story is well written or a good read? At least he was honest enough to depict himself as a wuss.

I'm a bit surprised by the backlash here. I thought this piece was good writing and an entertaining little tale.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Me too ...

7. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

It was entertaining, but didn't need the little flourishes, the snotty one-liners about Richard Marx. They came off really flimsy considering what actually happened in the face-to-face encounter.

Dude should have played it straighter. Story is good enough without his attempts to be funny.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I thought it was entertaining and kind of fun.

My only complaint is it assumes that the readers all believe that Richard Marx is the easy listening equivalent of a Podunk Press hack.

To be honest, I cannot get a Richard Marx song to spool up in my head. That may be a good thing.

9. Nice to meet you, Mr. McClelland

10. I thought it was pretty damn funny. If anything, I thought the writer was self-deprecating. Clearly he's a wuss. Clearly Richard Marx is a cartoon character. This was, to me anyway, just the intersection of these very strange paths.

Granted, one of my weaknesses is absolute randomness as humor, but I saw it as funny and that's about where it ended.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Today's kids would say, "What the hell is a Fotomat?"

Draft saved Draft deleted