1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Confronted by Richard Marx

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 11, 2013.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Not a damn thing.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Makes an interesting point about the nature of criticism, and about what artists consider fair and foul territory for judgment.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I fully expected Beej to be the author of this blog. If someone calls out Billy Squier you'll know it was him.

5. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

I seem to recall someone (Posnanski?) retweeting Richard Marx saying, "Went to the dentist's today. Didn't have an appointment; just wanted to hear some of my music."

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Obviously, Marx won't give up until he's satisfied.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Found an article from back in the day
    http://articles.latimes.com/1990-07-06/entertainment/ca-232_1_richard-marx

One of the things I've never understood about Marx is why everyone bags on him. I mean EVERYONE, (remember when an MTV VJ ripped him for his hair?)

THIS GUY
    [​IMG]

I get the impression that people rip Marx simply because he is ripable - kind of like the guy in high school everyone mocked because it was fun and there were no repercussions. Not saying his music is great, just that there are other artists who have done less with more talent and they are critical darlings.

And reading the article from above - it doesn't look like his wish came true.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Edward McClelland comes off as a colossal douchebag.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That was my takeaway, too.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

If the writer pecked out that piece thinking it would make him look cool, he miscalculated badly.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

McClelland ripped Marx more the second time around. Kept piling on, too.

What an asshole.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

They both come off as sanctimonious shits, McClelland as a pompous above-it-all douche, and Marx as some creator of high culture. Marx was to rock what the Cadillac Cimmaron was to luxury cars; had the packaging but not the necessary features. He needs to get over himself. I saw an article where they showed Rick Astley a clip of 1980s Rick Astley and his reaction was simply "God, was I a wanker." Be nice if Marx could be as self-aware.

Draft saved Draft deleted