1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

confrontation with glory-seeking dad

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sartrean, Feb 25, 2007.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Dad should be pissed. Your oversight may cost that kid a DI scholarship.

(OK seriously, 32 minutes, no field goals, 3 assists? How is that even possible? My kid does that, I'd be scared to death that his name would be in the paper the next day. The asshole ought to be thanking you.)

2. Here's my advice: stand up to bullies. Don't tell him to fuck off, but politely and sternly tell him what you told us ... the truth: "I've got 20 minutes to write the story and I only have room for key plays ... etc" ... but don't be all sheepish to the point the guy thinks he's right. Be careful what you apologize for. If he's still invading your space, politely walk away. You're a fucking reporter, do the best you can and stand by it.

3. greenie

greenie Member

"I have limited space for my game stories, so I only mention the players and moments most significant in the game. Feel free to contact my editor if you'd like to discuss the matter further. Have a good day."

4. chazp

chazp Active Member

This is exactly why taser guns were invented. Hit him in the zipper area with it. After five or six minutes he'll get up. If his attitude has not changed, repeat as needed until he thanks you for leaving his son's name out of the paper.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Ditto on the apologizing. Don't do it, unless you made an error.

I don't apologize for not mentioning a kid in a story. I don't apologize for not picking a kid for all-area. I don't apologize for writing that so-and-so's own goal was the deciding goal in her team's loss. I do apologize if I put an error in the story (and to echo the thoughts of blaming the desk ... I most certainly don't blame the desk for not catching the error I put in my story, nor for potentially cutting a name.)

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i was waiting for that. thanks for not letting me down.

7. dwychwder

dwychwder New Member

"Sir, I'd like to politely invite you to suck my balls"

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

No one gets a good chuckle out of an electrical charge to the junk anymore. Nice call.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's possible because he can handle the ball, but is a horrible outside shooter.
    In my senior year of high school, our starting point guard was the brother of ESPN's Steve Phillips. Had no midrange jumper at all and was probably the best athlete on the team, but he could run the offense.
    The coach would tell the team that in a close game, under no circumstances was he to shoot the basketball...

10. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

During my last year as an SID, our starting point guard averaged 36.8 minutes a game (39.5 a game in conference, including playing every minute of a five-overtime loss) and took less than three shots a game. His job was to run the offense, and that's what he did.

And no, I don't have all this memorized. I had to go check some stats.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Had an out-of-town dad e-bomb us with questions about why his son didn't get into stories about his juco team.

The next home game we covered, the kid was running a morgue in left field, misjudging fly balls, letting balls get past him to the fence, overthrowing cutoff men, etc.

He got his name in the paper, all right. And the e-mails stopped.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Cheerleaders work hard, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted