1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

confrontation with glory-seeking dad

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sartrean, Feb 25, 2007.

1. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I somehow have managed to avoid such situations in recent years. Either I've spent way too much time mentioning every player or the parents of the ones I don't mention simply don't care.

However, there have been times and places where it was even worse than what sartrean describes. During a stint at a small-town rag several years ago, I got asked (repeatedly) why certain players' names were not in the basketball box scores. The answer was that those players never got in the game. You would have thought I told them it was because their kid was ugly.

As for someone who comes up to me at events -- when I am working and not in the mood for outside interference -- I've found that physical intimidation works quite well. It seems to help that I'm a 6-2, 280, borderline-psycho redneck.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

You should have put in "Did not play -- coach's decision" next to their names. See if that would make them happy.

3. Frylock

Frylock Member

I just say (nicely) that when the son/daughter does something newsworthy, then I'll write about them.

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

The other similar response is "I work hard, too. But I don't write about myself, do I?"

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

"Despite six turnovers from ***"

You could have mentioned the name that way.

6. Oscar Madison

Oscar Madison Member

Do what I do, tell the dude his son's name was in the agate. It's that simple.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Before reading the other replies, here's my gut reaction of something I might really say that might be appropriate:

"Sir, I'm terribly sorry. Perhaps they cut your son's name out of my story out for length, or maybe it just slipped my mind completely. Give me you number, let me find out what happened and get back to you when I know something."

Then, go to the coach, a school official or a parent you are familiar with and find out what the story is with dad. Is a pain in the ass to everyone (probably is) or is he just having a bad day? Maybe tell your side of the story to the coach or another ally and get them to go to dad and tell him that you are really a good guy trying hard to do your job and he needs to chill the fuck out.

When you call dad later, hopefully he will have calmed down and be apologetic.

8. So do washing machines.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

Ask the dad what plays his son made that were critical in the game. Then enjoy the silence.

10. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Of course. When in doubt, blame the desk. ::)

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

For the team's next game, do a preview story about how the team is happy with last game's win, but has to cut down on costly turnovers. ;)

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Good call. Goad the coach into mentioning the kid by name when talking about turnovers.

Draft saved Draft deleted