1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Confessions of an Agent

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Oct 12, 2010.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I figure it's like getting a new credit card with a 0% transfer rate. I'm sure plenty of agents agree to give a player what ever he was fronted by someone else to get his business. It's kind of like the scrub MAC school that has been recruiting a local kid since he was a sophomore then he blows up at a summer camp and it's Hello Big 10!
    There is probably another story entirely about how agents bankroll themselves in the early years.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The agent was on a Memphis radio show yesterday. He said only about 1/3 of what he told the writer made the article.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I still think Looney's story on the BC points shaving scandal is the best investigative piece to ever run in SI.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I never read that one. Off to the Vault.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If I remember correctly, it was the first time Henry Hill (pre-Goodfellas) did an interview.

6. derwood

derwood Active Member

Amazing that ten percent of players are dead!

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

A lot of similar things were in a book called "Necessary Roughness: The Other Game of Football Exposed by its most controversial Superagent" by Mike Trope. Published in 1987, but referring to his start in the biz in 1973.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Maybe that's why agents are called ten-percenters?

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Never read Donaghy's but at least in the Jose Canseco case, Canseco comes off as an angry, vendictive POS. Plus it read like the book was written by a fourth grader. He had a way of contradicting himself from paragraph to paragraph. He was also clearly writting it to make a dollar and get his name back out there.

All Luchs is getting out of this is a clear conscience -- plus the opportunity to get his side of the story out there about his suspension from the world of being an agent. He is no longer in the game, he has moved on to real estate. Plus it was Dorhmann who sought him out. Luchs didn't go looking for the opportunity, but did take it when it presented itself. He was also able to back up his story with things like bank reciepts and contracts as well as third party eye witnesses, where as Canseco's book lived and died on his word, rumour and inuendo, even if much of what he wrote now does appear to be true.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How does it clear your conscience?

I can't imagine anyone who goes into that business would have trouble sleeping at night after delivering a Hummer to a prospect.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Article says Dohrmann interviewed him for 20 hours.

You've never been remorseful about something you did in the past? Never came to terms with being wrong after the fact?

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Beef, great take on Canseco. when that book came out i told my buddy (who always was a huge Canseco fan) Canseco is baseball's Henry Hill. If someone signed him to a nice contract or if he didn't blow all his money i highly doubt he writes that book.

Draft saved Draft deleted