1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Confessions of an Agent

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Oct 12, 2010.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Upcoming issue of SI names "30 former college football players alleged to have taken money or some other extra benefit in violation of NCAA rules. The primary source of these allegations is Josh Luchs, who has been a certified NFL agent for 20 years." First person account by Luchs, as told to George Dohrmann.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/magazine/10/12/agent/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz12AXVktiz

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Was just about to post this. Fascinating stuff.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This falls into the "Heard About the Lindbergh Baby" school of journalism. This practice is ancient and I'd bet damn near universal one way or the other. And why not? I don't see anything wrong with it in terms of business ethics. College football has no ethics, just rules, and I don't care about them.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Agreed. But when was the last time you had an agent go on the record with details about how he did it and who he paid?

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This is awesome. Two nuggets I found interesting:

-MSU QB Tony Banks was paid several hundred dollars per month. He played from '92-95. MSU was on probation in '93, and maybe '94 still.

-I put $10,000 cash in front of Kansas's Dana Stubblefield, and he wouldn't take it. I tried to pay UCLA's J.J. Stokes and USC's Keyshawn Johnson, and they said, "No."

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

As good as this is, I bet he left the best stuff out. It's a rough game.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

George Dohrmann - whose new book on amateur hoops I highly recommend - is SI's 21st Century version of Douglas Looney and Don Yaeger. He's had numerous outstanding investigative pieces, even if he'll probably write 50 more years and never have anything as big as the story he broke when he was 27. On his Twitter, Dorhmann says this is the best story he's ever done for SI.

8. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

George Dorhmann does not fear the gopher.

Edit: http://www.pulitzer.org/works/2000-Beat-Reporting

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That was excellent reading.

And Ryan Leaf still was acting like a douche for bringing along his teammates to Vegas on the agent's dime.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Leaf has been a douche since he was 15 years old, but actually, I thought one of the best anecdotes in the story was Leaf giving Luchs $10,000 in cash in an unspoken understanding that he was paying back what he took.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see Mel Kiper's reaction to this.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

ESPN looking into it. Busy week over there in the investigations dept!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/12/espn-looking-into-mel-kipers-relationship-with-gary-wichard/

Draft saved Draft deleted