1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Confessions of a swim parent

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Idaho, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Emily had a great time. And I, the new swim parent, got to scream and well for kids to line up in the right order as I helped run the staging area.

[​IMG]

Today's action was four hours of well-coordinated chaos.

Amazing to see how the kids and coaches churned through 45 events with probably 200 heats over three days. Kids were being called to their marks and diving in before the other kids could even get out of the water.

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Get to know the Times Standards..and get ready for those early morning practices.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Thankfully, her team practices are from 4-5:30 p.m. The high school team has the pool in the early mornings. So I have a few years before I have to worry about that.

4. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

What's the summer swim schedule like? Around here many clubs swim at outdoor pools in the AM and then go indoor for the PM practices. 11-12 age group can be doing the AM practice.

If she does swim outdoors get her the right goggles, but I'm guessing you know that already. The backstoke gets a little tough when the sun is out.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

She swims with TYR Nest goggles with the dark lenses and loves them.

Her 8-year-old sister is in the 'pre-comp' program and will probably join her on the competitive team in a few months. Best part of that is they won't have different schedules.

6. patchs

patchs Active Member

This meet wasn't too bad, hour drive, barely 4 hours at the pool, Five Guys for dinner.
    In the 50 back, 1:22.04
    In the 100 free, 2:47.55
    In the 50 free, 1:22.38.
    She's 10 and having fun. That's what counts.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My daughter was faster on her back than freestyle for a while, too. Faster in butterfly than free or back. She was one odd swimmer.

Great thing about swimming as a sport for kids besides the health benefit: Kids can "win" every race. No not the cool blue ribbon or gold medal. But there's a chance for improvement every time out. I saw a kid once drop four seconds in a 50 free and she was the happiest kid there. No clue if she finished fifth or 50th but she was delighted.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I could care less about what her time or her place is. She's having fun, learning to be active and fit and making some very good friends.

I told her before the start of every event that it didn't matter if she was first, third or 18th. Just do her best. It was her first meet, she's never had an official time and I didn't even bother to see what her times were this weekend.

She had a blast and we stopped for a snack on the way home -- winner, winner

9. patchs

patchs Active Member

I keep track of her times because I want to see her improve, she's always last, which I'm cool with but to me, the idea of being involved in a sport is having fun and trying your best.
    Too bad Idaho's daughter and mine couldn't have their swim teams compete against each other, now that'd be a fun way to spend a Saturday.

Draft saved Draft deleted