1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cansportschick, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I am a closet Guiding Light and As the World Turns fan. It only started a month and a half ago.

Am I the only SJ'er whose gone to the dark side of watching sudful soap operas?

And damn, some of the men on Guiding Light are absolutely gorgeous to look at.
  2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I thought you were going to confess that you never actually left the board.
  3. Cansportschick

Well, I think that was kind of a given.... ;) ;D

I am now going to call myself a soap whore. Is that what they called people that are addicted to even one soap opera?
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My wife likes to watch Days of Our Lives on SoapNet at 10 p.m. I'm resisting, but if I do something more useful like play XBox, she's asleep by the time I get in there. Cuts down on the quality cuddle time and creates quite the dilemma.
  5. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Considering all the reality crap that's on TV these days, there's nothing wrong with watching soaps. At least some decent actors pass through that realm.

I have no idea why, but I always find myself stopping on Pimp My Ride or Cribs: Sucka-Free Addition. Now that's something to be ashamed about.
  6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I will admit to occasionally watching SpongeBob on Saturday mornings, even when my son's at his grandparents' house.
  7. CSC --
    Not to say the show's old, but As The World Turns was my mother's "sketch" when I was a child.
  8. Cansportschick

Fenian, trust me. The newer shows are much more modern and the people look damn fine looking. Nothng like what your mother was watching back in the day... ;D
  9. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

My grandmother watched the entire CBS lineup of soaps (Young & The Restless, ATWT, Bold & Beautiful and Guilding Light). I saw quite a few of them throughout the 80s when my grandmother would babysit me. It was interesting to see actors move on. For example, I was in love with Meg Ryan WAY before she started making movies because of As The World Turns. Marisa Tomei and Julianne Moore are two others I remember from that show.
    I also had a huge crush on Kim Zimmer from Guilding Light. She's gotta be in her 50s by now.
  10. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

Guiding Light also gave us Melina Kanakaredes (the pride of Akron, Ohio) years before she was Providence and later CSI: New York.

And I just remembered (how could I forget?) a smoking Sherry Stringfield was on GL way before ER.
  11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I'll ground my daughter from SpongeBob when I feel she's gotten too sassy, and it works, but I then have to sneak to watch it. Mr. Crabs would make a great newspaper publisher.
  12. KG

KG Active Member

Days of Our Lives is like a family tradition. I remember when that one guy used to come out and turn the hour glass over at the halfway point commercial break. These days I tivo and fast forward a lot of it, but I do still watch it.
Draft saved Draft deleted