1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Confederate soldiers=terrorists

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Apr 11, 2010.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Actually, 145.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

145 years is not all that much. Put it this way, there are people alive today who knew soldiers who fought in that war. I'd venture to guess there are some people around who knew slaves too.

3. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I'm 55. That's old by board standards. My grandparents, long dead, knew people who fought in the War. It's time to let go.

I'll absolutely defend people who say we can't forget the Holocaust. There are people still alive who survived that.

The Civil War/Between the States is done.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How very Sarah Palin of you.

Of our current military about 35 percent comes from the South. You're welcome.

5. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Which ought to be the proof that only the lunatic fringe is still living in the 1860s.

Military service is one of the points of intersection for Southerners, of all classes, for good or ill.

6. Gues#t

Gues#t Guest

My great grandmother, who taught me to read, was born just before the Civil War started and grew up under reconstruction. She didn't care much for Lincoln, one of our three greatest Presidents (at least). You may hate her and people like her; I don't.

Two simple ideas I will state as facts:

Slavery is the greatest wrong we have done in this country. It's around all our necks to one degree or another; we're still paying for it.

There were good and bad people in the South, during the time of slavery as there are now. To insult them as a group, as is so often done on this board, is just wrong.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's payback for Dan Jenkins insulting everyone else.

8. Gues#t

Gues#t Guest

Jenkins is just fine as long as he sticks to writing about light-running five irons.

9. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

My mother remembers feeling the holes in her great-grandmother's skull from where a Yankee soldier drove his gunstock into the haircomb my great-great-grandmother refused to hand over when the Yankees turned up on her front porch.

No one is a monolith. I disagree with my family's politics from my great-great-grandmother to my mother. How much I love them, and what I would do for them, is a completely separate issue.

I've heard tell America contains multitudes.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If we change our way of life, the Confederates have won

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Those books have only been out about 10 years now, and Civil War re-enactments have been going on since, well, the Civil War, and I don't notice any wholesale move to secede again. Try to keep up.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Anytime a contemporary concept is applied to a different time period, you're walking on dubious eggshells.

Draft saved Draft deleted