1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Confederate soldiers=terrorists

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I think a lot of the romanticizing of the South has to do with the underdog role and the way that role framed the abilities of generals like Lee and Jackson.

So much of the country at this point had no stake in the war, yet that aura still surrounds some of the southern commanders. I think it has to do with the way they fought rather than what they fought for.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Looks like he paid more attention in 7th grade English class, too :D

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree.

4. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

For some reason, your post has made the Kinks' Victoria stick in my head.

5. highlander

highlander Member

If you want some interesting alternative history, check out Harry Turtledove's four-book "WorldWar" series.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'm the one who brought up the Gingrich books, and I never said he liked slavery.

Again, I haven't read the books, but my dad says the Union prevails anyway under Gingrich's 'what if' scenarios. Not sure if that involves a loss by Lee, though. Lee's sort of the hero of the series, I believe.

What I find weird is that Lee doesn't need to be made a 'hero'... he was a real person-- an absolutely fascinating person. In other words, the truth is interesting enough.

I just find revisionism extremely dangerous, and while the 'what ifs' are fun, anything that contributes to revisionism is worrisome.

I just read this whole thread from top to bottom. The posters who actually think slavery might have been 'better' or 'the same' as working poor have no historical or statistical basis to back that up.

Inherently we know slavery is bad and freedom is good. Let's not overthink that.

Draft saved Draft deleted