1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Confederate flag dispute in Kentucky

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

This may come off as generalizations to people, but frankly it's true if you ask me. Anyone who flies the confederate flag, or supports it, or has any other feeling except revulsion and sadness for it, is a racist. We've reached a point as a society where it's that simple. The heritage it's about is a racist one. The rebelliousness was about racism. Arguing anything else is a pathetic attempt at revisionsist history.

And knowing enough about the area No One Likes them is from, I totally buy everything he said. And if his suck ass wimpy editors won't let a story he wants to do about it run, then fuck them and their loser asses. They can stay forever where they're at and continue to suck.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I saw that on a bumper sticker last week, actually.

It might be heritage, sure. But when the heritage stems from hate, yeah, there might be issues with that.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

4. Do you think Canada might be willing to deal?

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

As a proud Southerner who has Confedrate war veterans in my lineage, I have this to say: fuck the Confederate flag. It's possible to have pride in the admirable aspects of one's heritage while rejecting that which is tragic and repulsive. Cf. Germany.

The article didn't explain why the school uses the flag...didn't even say if their nickname was Rebels or what. The writer might have mentioned that.

I don't live in the South right now...last time I thought about the Stars and Bars was when I was at a basketball game in New Mexico. Saw some older Hispanic dude with a Rebel flag ballcap. Roswell's weird.

6. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

No shit. I've spent my whole life in the South and I can't get over how people still cling to that stupid symbol. And to the "heritage, not hate" crowd -- you guys dropped the ball in the 1950s and 1960s, when you let all those dickweeds fighting the civil rights movement incorporate the Confederate flag.

7. da el g

da el g Member

so- I guess this is our country

:( :( :( :( :(

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Sure it's a part of people's heritage, a bad part, like the swastika.

9. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

The Stars and Bars was the first official flag of the CSA, but it is not the name of the commonly used flag with the blue X on a red field. That was the CSA battle flag.

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Ok...I'd heard "stars and bars" all my life but didn't know it was just a reference to the CSA national flag, not the "X" battle flag that's the "rebel flag" most commonly seen today...

The national flag is the one you'll see at "Six Flags Over Texas" to represent the confederate era of Texas history
    [​IMG]
    That's the first version, with just seven stars

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It would raise the collective IQ of both countries.

12. Toolbox

Toolbox Member

That part just gave me the chills.
    By the way, Allen Central is an "accelerated school" according to the website and the school mascot is the Rebels. The AD is Col.Larry Maynard (that part I found a little odd and ironic).

http://www.achs.floyd.k12.ky.us/

Draft saved Draft deleted