1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concussions

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I don't care that Roger decided it was a problem he had to heroically save the league from in 2010.

I am saying it is hypocritical to rip the Browns for how they handled it. Goodell is a fraud and so is your owner.

For a master practitioner of reading comprehension, you don't seem to show much command of the trait.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Wow Herb, I just finished reading the entire thread, and while Oop and I don't often fall on the same line of things, he's done nothing but rip the league and it's commissioner on this thread. He never once said the Steelers were without complete fault and didn't solely single out the Browns. McCoy was a high-profile incident last season that fit his point and the criteria of the thread. He also talked about the Eagles and Bears with recent incidents.

If you're looking for an opportunity to rip him over his steelers fandom, you missed timed it.

Do I agree with everything he has said on this thread? no.

I think the attitude surrounding concussions has changed. It has come light years from where it was even five years ago. My last year of hockey in 2000 I suffered my sixth concussion, I was crosschecked over the head. I missed more than a month. I wasn't even allowed to curl. However, my coach gave me shit the whole time, his big line being that he had never had a player miss time before because of a head injury. If he trotted out that line of thinking now he'd be crucified. And rightly so. I came back too early, and am lucky I didn't suffer another one.

But I also believe the attitude shift still has a ways to go. Yes the pro teams/coaches that screw up a diagnosis of a concussion or are negligent in dealing with it, they should be fined/penalized. But the biggest shift needed to still happen is among the players. They have to put their health above playing time. If they're feeling woozy, they can no longer afford keep it to themselves. They also need to start showing more respect for their fellow players on the field. The likes of Raffi Torres or James Harrison have got to figure out a way to play the game without taking their opponent's head off.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Then your experience is extremely limited, especially since you don't have kids who are of the age to play sports yet. But keep being the gasbag you always are about something you have no idea what you are talking about, well, other than the Browns let Colt McCoy play with a concussion....

Nobody is saying, nobody, that concussions should not be taken seriously, they should. Nobody is saying there should be a cautious approach to it. There should. But hysteria about this whole thing is beginning to reach the levels of a number of other so-called medical crisis in the past which turned out to be way overblown

These days a kid has a head ache, a simple head ache, and he must take the baseline test to get back on the field - when all he needed was a tylenol or perhaps some food in his stomach.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

There is absolute hysteria about concussions in sport. In Canada more and more minor hockey associations are taking hitting out of their house leagues completely, and in B.C. there is talk about taking hitting out of the competitive level until Bantam hockey. Now much of that is due a recent study that showed a jump in the rates of injuries once hitting was introduced.

The city I am in now did this at the beginning of the season and they have seen exactly zero difference in the numbers and causes of concussions.

Now there was also pilot project done by the Saskatchewan Hockey Association that studied the mentality of parents, players and coaches when hitting was introduced in atom hockey over a three year period, I believe it was 2003-06 or something. One of the big things they found was when body checking was introduced -- whether it was atom or peewee -- there was a big jump in the excitement level about the chance to hit, that players went out of their way to try to make the big rock'em sock'em style hit. This was clearly evident when non-hit atom teams from out of province entered contact tournaments in Saskatchewan and all of sudden these kids got to hit and their entire focus shifted from playing hockey to trying to lay someone out. Now by the time the test groups hit the next level, not only did they know how to hit safely and more importantly how to take a hit, much of that initial excitement had wore off. Do you still have idiots running around? absolutely. You have idiots running around at every level and in every league. But I personally would prefer for the players getting that introduction to hitting when they are all roughly the same size and most kids within 10-20 pounds of each other, instead of two years later when the size difference can be extreme as much as 50-60 pounds. It's a very interesting study.

http://www.sha.sk.ca/inside-sha/body-checking-study

I personally had two concussions playing non-hit atom hockey growing up, neither came from a hit. Five of my at least six concussions came from hockey and only once was a hit even remotely involved and that was with the earlier mentioned cross check in my final year that effectively ended my hockey playing days.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

How is it hypocritical if I'm agreeing that the Steelers' history with concussions is a disgrace? It isn't. You're just made because I proved you wrong and you can't handle it. Next time have the decency to just admit it without being a jerk and move on.

I used two examples of teams fucking up since Goodell started to crack down on players, including the most glaring recent one. I used Hoge because he most clearly demonstrates the danger, since he nearly died due to the Bears' negligence.

6. Herbert Anchovy

I would respond in like manner but da man might start crying again about all the fighting.

Apparently is is our singular duty to entertain him and keep discussions fresh and buoyant.

I'll see you on down the road. (For the time being, you're wrong.)

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm not sure hysteria is accurate but there's concern.

There hasn't been hitting allowed in many, many houseleagues well before the concussion issue was introduced.

What house league kids are playing is recreational hockey. When they grow up and they play beer league hockey, they'll be playing non contact as well.

Personally, I don't think there should be hitting in house league, period--from Tyke to Midget.

I'm not sure I'd even allow it in select hockey. A, AA & AAA only.

8. outofplace

Don't worry, boys and girls. I'm sure someday even Herbie will mature enough to admit when he is wrong.

9. outofplace

That's the frustrating part to me. These sports keep changing the way they are played rather than address the real issue -- the culture of the sport. That means teaching coaches not to be assholes and push their athletes to play at all costs and players being taught at a very young age not to fuck around when they have the symptoms of a concussion.

10. Herbert Anchovy

You are a boil in need of lancing.

Let me know when you get an advanced medical degree so I can treat you with a respect befitting a subject expert.

More concussions in the news:

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/kickoffs-and-concussions-reviewing-2011-numbers/

That's a pretty damn useless study without providing past numbers.

11. outofplace

Wow, now you're waiting over a week and that's the best you can do? Sad.

12. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

More than. More than a week.

Draft saved Draft deleted