1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concussions

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Jan 12, 2012.

1. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

The recognition of concussion syndromes a, their evaluations and return to play guidelines have evolved dramatically since the late 90s. The most recent consensus statement from the third international concussion group held in Zurich is helpful for background http://journals.lww.com/cjsportsmed/Fulltext/2009/05000/Consensus_Statement_on_Concussion_in_Sport_3rd.1.aspx

And of course, there is the recent DocTalk blog with concussion tidbits
    http://www.mddirect.org/blog/index.php?/archives/256-concussion-tidbits.html

2. I agree that no one should be surprised that an NFL player offers this perspective, and the idea that this will gradually get better is wishful thinking.

How does this attitude change? A death on the field. The death of Dale Earnhardt finally prompted NASCAR to take safety more seriously.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It has been getting better, but I wonder if that will go far enough. I don't mean the players. There are always going to be plenty of players doing everything they can to play no matter what. The change has to come among the coaches and medical staff.

4. outofplace

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12034/1207802-66.stm

Tony Dorsett the latest to join the lawsuit against the NFL.

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I heard a former player this week on one of the talk show say that bunkers were actually slight concussions. If that's the case, Yowza. I got those all the time when I played ball. My entire right side went numb for 30 seconds and I ke

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I had about 15 minutes to edit that AP story for one of our editions yesterday. I would have liked to have at least 2 hours. A little more than half of it ran. Lots of good quotes in that story.

7. outofplace

Bunkers? You mean burners?

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Yeah burners. Stupid IPhone. Point is anyone who played high school ball had more than their fair share.

9. outofplace

No doubt, and that is the culture football needs to change at every level. Won't happen as long as even the NFL keeps trying to shove its head back into the sand.

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Wait -- you're telling me a piledriver wasn't legal in "real" wrestling?

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Anyone who has played football from the high school level on up will tell you that someone among the 22 players on the field suffers concussion-like symptoms on nearly every regular play. It doesn't take much to slosh the brain from one side of the skull to the other.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That is a wild exaggeration.

Draft saved Draft deleted