1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Concussion' doctor in NYT op-ed: No high-impact sports until age 18

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Dec 7, 2015.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Except they haven't. The research is incomplete, at best, for reasons I already made clear. Mouth guards are recommended anyway.

Never said it was groundbreaking. It certainly isn't, but the one thing research clearly shows is that some headgear can reduce the impact on the brain. What isn't clear is what headgear they were talking about in the passage LTL quoted. You dodged that part of my argument, too. I raised questions about the research that you can't answer.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is the equivalent of Baron's "Name five things the GOP has done to help the middle class."

You're wrong, dude. You fell behind the prevailing wisdom. There's no shame in that other than what you bring on yourself by compounding your error.

YankeeFan and SnarkShark like this.
  3. outofplace

Honestly, I'm not following the thing with Baron, but I doubt the comparison is appropriate. You wanted a gotcha moment and it isn't here. Just admit as much and move on.

Instead, you are claiming that I dismissed the source, which I did not. In fact, I said I want to investigate it further.

You misrepresented or misunderstood what is in the source. I'm guessing it began as the latter and turned into the former. You have proven time and again that you are more interested in attacking me than you are in having a rational discussion.

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

oop wouldn't do well in a philosophy of science class. I also need some more journals with an impact factor of 0.00 before I can conclude anything. Any pay-to-play medical journals?

5. outofplace

Given that I understand research has to be thorough before you come to conclusions and you do not, I do like my chances better than yours.

6. JohnHammond

Yes, let's take the opinion of the guy who does not understand academic research.

7. outofplace

From what I've seen, that would be you, so I don't think we should.

8. JohnHammond

You're one of those students who would come in during office hours, adamant that you didn't deserve a D+ despite the fact you scored a 67/100 on a multiple-choice exam.

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Very interesting read, and I loved the graphic packaging for the piece, too.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Bingo!

Can someone check my card?

Draft saved Draft deleted