1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Concussion' doctor in NYT op-ed: No high-impact sports until age 18

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Dec 7, 2015.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

There was a 49er lineman as well, IIRC.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I wonder what other things kids that age should avoid?

poindexter likes this.
  3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Would be awfully tough to do any conclusive studies ... you'd have to kill a random sample of players who didn't play with them and then kill a random sample of players who did. Would imagine it'd be hard to get a big sample size for that one.

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It won't be long that all hitting will be taken out of youth hockey in Canada. It has already been removed from all levels except rep hockey.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It does seem inconceivable.

My best guess as to where it ends up is a hard ban on tackle and helmets until ninth grade, and perhaps mandatory time on frosh/JV (i.e. only two years of varsity football). I also think there could be minimum roster sizes at the HS level, which would end programs at a lot of schools. Having a team of 30 or 40 kids dramatically compromises safety.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Those might help with a blow to the head (like a baseball) but they won't prevent a concussion. Those are often caused by a violent hit. Your brain moves inside your skull and smacks the bone. No matter how much padding you have, the brain is still going to move around if your head is hit or stops suddenly.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Go the Aussie Rules/rugby route and get rid of hard-shell helmets and move on with football.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

In a similar vein, you could do away with the facemask.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Exactly -- leave facemasks where they belong -- on the front of D1 softball players' helmets!

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Paterno always advocated that.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Not to determine if they were effective at preventing concussions.

Draft saved Draft deleted