1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CONCLUSION: Alone on T-Day...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colton, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Re: Alone on T-Day...

Sex outside of wedlock? I'm liking this new Yawn.

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

Re: Alone on T-Day...

I am truly thankful... and humbled, friends. I spent almost five hours on Thanksgiving Day serving food at a shelter and for the first time in a very long time, I came away feeling I had done something meaningful.

The people receiving the food were at different times, appreciative, thankful and, yes, embarrassed a bit for accepting the grub. My heart was tugged all day long listening to the words of thanks, feeling the grip of their handshakes and then watching them head out the door to the cold and snow that awaited their uncertain futures.

I'll be the first to admit I should never, ever whine or complain about my situation. My problems and issues are trivial compared to what these poor folks face on an everyday, heck, everyhour, basis.

I was truly amazed at how many of these down-on-their-luck people recognized a sports writer with big spoon in his hand, an apron around his chest and a cap on his head. One woman even said: "I've slept with you." Seeing what was most assuredly a look of astonishment run across my face, she smiled and explained that last summer, she used a paper with my column logo in it to sleep on. Needless to say, I was more than a bit red!

What was touching is how many youngsters wanted to ask me sports questions about the Cavaliers, the Browns, the Indians and the Buckeyes. I was glad to engage them in conversation and got a kick out of asking them who their favorite players were, etc.

Finally, one youngster, who was 10 or 11, said to me, "I can't believe the Indians finally made the playoffs!" When I told him it didn't happen for me until I was 31, his jaw almost dropped into his mashed potatoes!

Once again, thanks to one and all who encouraged me to take the chance and do this. It will go down as one of my most enjoyable Thanksgivings. Before departing and heading to the office, I told the people in charge of the place they would see me next year.

Happy Day After, everyone.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's an excellent story, Colton. It makes me want to do the same thing on a regular basis.

4. accguy

accguy Member

I just want to know if mike's shift ended with another makeout session and some ass crack cocaine.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Sadly, this Mike didn't partake in the coke-off-the-ass fun last night. I just drank a bunch of beer, ate a lot of stuffing, then drove back over the state line and fell asleep watching Scrubs, woke up and fell asleep watching Mallrats. Just a regular Thursday for me ... you know, with stuffing.

6. accguy

accguy Member

OK, my bad. I guess it was NoOneLikesUs who was having issues with his work "friend."

So what happened? A makeout session back by the presses? Post work drinks and a little action in the backseat?

You can't just bring it up without telling the rest of the story.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

colton, i always thought you were one of the most sincere "guys" on this board. now i know you are.

one day i'll buy you a beer or nine.

Draft saved Draft deleted