1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CONCLUSION: Alone on T-Day...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colton, Nov 21, 2007.

1. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Re: Alone on T-Day...

I never cared much for Thanksgiving, but volunteering at the soup kitchen sounds like a wonderful idea.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Absolutely do it. You won't feel alone even for a second if you do this. Serving others is the best thing you can do, IMO, on a day like this. What better way to show thanksgiving, gratitude and compassion.

I did it a couple of times when I was younger and in a similar situation as you described. Those were among the best holidays I've had from an emotional and spiritual standpoint. Now that I have kids, it's harder to go and do, but I intend to take the family and serve this way soon. Thanks for the reminder.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Half of my Thanksgiving will be spent driving, the final day of what has been a fairly exhausting six-day work road trip ... not to mention getting sick on the one day I sort of had "off" on the trip. Dangit. At least when I get back, some friends are inviting me and some co-workers over to share dinner with them.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Let's all get drunk Thursday night and shoot potatoes from a potato gun at some frozen turkeys.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

My T-giving tradition used to be going to Subway and getting a turkey sandwich.

6. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I shall be joining my writing brethren alone.

7. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Colt,

I've done it before, and at some point, I'll do it again. It's tough to spend such a family-oriented holiday alone, but volunteering will absolutely take your minds off things.

Take care of yourself bud

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Dinner at my place?

9. Flash

Flash Guest

T-giving was a month ago. Only way I get tomorrow off is if I develop a nasty cough in the next 24 hours.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Tell 'em you became American today and want to celebrate the pilgrims.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I used to do the soup kitchen thing when I was younger, we did it at the local church.

Sadly, that isn't an option for me anymore, since we have Thanksgiving Day football in these here parts, and the soup kitchen runs 10-1 (about the time I would be at a game).

12. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Do what makes you comfortable. It's a holiday -- that's what holidays are for.

I spent one Thanksgiving alone. I was working at a paper that was about seven hours from my family and I had to work late the night before and early on the Friday after. So I stayed put. I made chicken fajitas and watched a lot of movies and actually was glad to not have to be rushing around, traveling or dealing with family for a change.

But it was a little depressing. I had to work New Year's Eve that year too and came home just in time to see three very attractive women headed into a party at a neighbor's apartment as I was headed into my empty place. Didn't know the neighbors -- actually didn't know anyone in that town -- and cursed myself at that moment for not having made an effort to make some friends. Thankfully I wasn't there very long.

Draft saved Draft deleted