1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CONCLUSION: Alone on T-Day...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colton, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

Being single, what little family I have is headed to my bro inlaw's relatives and nothing to do until I head to the office at 6.

Suggestions? (OK, insert wise-ass comments here!) Sleep the day away? Nuke some sliced turkey breast from Wally-World, mix in some instand mashed spuds and throw a jar of gravy on it and watch football?

In all seriousness, I'm contemplating going to a local soup kitchen and asking if I can help serve people their dinners.

I figure, doing something for those less fortunate might be the best thing I can do.

Anyone ever done this?

Thanks, folks.

Hope you and yours have a wonderful holiday.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Re: Alone on T-Day...

In the same boat here, Colton.

I plan to wake up early, watch the Packers, take a nap, then head to work.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Colton, sounds like you've got the right idea. Just do whatever feels right for you. Helping others is never a waste of time.

4. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I'm planning on getting home from work, watching the Packers beat the Lions, go to sleep, then wake up and go to work. I will help nobody. I am Bad Guy Zero!

5. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I'm alone on t'giving and it's movies, movies, movies for me.

No turducken here.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i wish you were close enough so i could extend an invite, colton.

i guess, being it's a lame-ass holiday, should make you feel way better.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

See, this is interesting to me.
    Growing up, Thanksgiving was always our main holiday. It was when we went to my grandma and grandpa's house in Idaho. We would hang out for five days and then stay at home with just the immediate family for Christmas, so for me, Thanksgiving is a much bigger holiday in my mind.
    This is the first one I will spend truly alone from family. I mean, I have somewhere to go, where I don't have to cook and I get to eat, but it won't be with a single family member and I am a little depressed about that.
    I assume I will just drink to assuage my pain, but still, even though I am going to see my entire family for Christmas, it won't resonate quite as much as spending a Thanksgiving with my 92-year-old grandma and all of my aunts and uncles, plus my parents and my siblings.
    I almost wish I was working, because then I would either get time-and-a-half or an extra day off near Christmas.
    Anyway, I personally don't view Thanksgiving as a lame-ass holiday, instead I'd rather be stuck in West Texas for Christmas, not Thanksgiving. Plus, it will be worse this year because my sister-in-law was due today and they think it will come later this week.

8. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

I never really got into Thanksgiving.

I'll work, come home, play some PS2 and go to bed.

9. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Colton:

That's exactly what you do this year. Go help someone else.

Next year, if you're in the same boat, plan ahead. Find some friends in the same boat and invite them over for dinner. Or pizza and PS2 is you prefer.

Or do what I did 10 years ago. Go find a game to cover. I ended up sitting at Donnie Walsh's table at Market Square Arena. Best company I ever had at Thanksgiving.

10. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

This is my first year without my family on Thanksgiving. I have to work at 5 a.m. and Doc goes to work at 4 p.m. so we'll see each other in an overlap that will last about five seconds.

We're going to do Thanksgiving on another day with our friends. It's still a little depressing, though.

And Colton, I think serving at a soup kitchen is a wonderful idea. I've done it before. It can be rough on the emotions to know you're doing OK and living within your means and they don't have means within which to live.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I've done it many times.....one of the most rewarding and spiritual experiences I'll ever have. Especially if you go to a place that serves kids and families. I really hope you go.

Call around in advance, some places actually get too many volunteers on big holidays.

Happy Thanksgiving.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I've served at a soup kitchen a couple of times on Thanksgiving -- those times I had to work desk and not cover a game as the local soup kitchen serves Thanksgiving "dinner" at around 11 a.m.
    Then I went into the office where we did a pot luck Thanksgiving dinner, but one of the Thanksgiving regulars on newsside always brought a turkey in that she cooked at home.

The years I had to cover a game and work in the office a bit (which hasn't happened in at least 10 years), I wouldn't get done until 3, so it would be home alone for a Thanksgiving dinner of turkey burgers and pasta and string beans while watching the Cowboys against whomever they were playing.

Draft saved Draft deleted