1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concerts thread: Best/Worst/Next/Last one you attended?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

He opens his tour in Detroit tonight so there wouldn't be anything on THIS tour online. Cannot offer anything on his past proclivities. Maybe check the Freep or DetNews tomorrow for a review.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Typically we'd just skip the Little League game, but this godforsaken weather forced two cancellations this week, so now this is Opening Day. We had the same dilemma with the Kentucky Derby a few years ago and were fortunate that his game got rained out. Last year I had a ticket offered to me to Three Floyds Dark Lord Day and had to turn it down because my dumb stupid daughter was playing her first T-ball game ever that day.

3. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Best move you were ever forced to make.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Well, looking at the venue where he is playing when you are going, it says doors at 7, show starts at 8. Looks like one opener. I'd bet they play 30-40 minutes. Jack White probably hits the stage around 9-9:15. Maaaaaybe 9:30. But I wouldn't expect him to start before 9.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  5. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

After talking about Kendrick Lamar's Pulitzer award this week, it got me to seeing if he was on tour, which he is. Playing shows 90 miles from here on back-t0-back nights (one south of here; one north of here). Tickets in the section I would like are $187.50, plus tax and fees. So for two tickets, that's $500, plus a babysitter for the kids; -- plus, since the show doesn't start until 8 with two opening acts and Lamar won't take the stage until 9 or 10 or something, a hotel room, which means dinner and breakfast on the road. So...that's an $800 concert for Mrs. Flip and I.

Probably pass on that.

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Whenever tickets get north of $100, watching that artist's latest Austin City Limits or festival stop on Youtube on my couch starts to sound like a better plan.

franticscribe, Batman and Flip Wilson like this.
  7. Dick Whitman

Cool. I see that now, too. So game ends at 3:30 (Michigan time), 2.5 hours to Grand Rapids, we're at least in town by around 6. Probably 6:30 more realistically. I'd like to get as close to the stage as possible. I'd also like to eat.

First-world problems.

8. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

FYI parking in downtown GR is going to SUCK more than usual Saturday. It's Founders Fest that day.

9. Dick Whitman

Does that also mean we won't be able to get into Founders? We have a hotel a few miles away. We'll probably just check in there and then Uber downtown so that we can have a couple drinks before/after the show anyway.

10. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

I would say it would be...challenging...getting into Founders. There's always HopCat or GR Brewing close by, both have solid food and good drinks.

11. Dick Whitman

We were thinking about doing Founders on Sunday anyway.

Fly likes this.
  12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted