1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concerts thread: Best/Worst/Next/Last one you attended?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 1, 2007.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I am envious and proud of you. I'll just sit here and reflect on how things I used to do for fun would now kill me.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

That's a Dick Whitman two-fer. Subtle brags about being in good shape and listening to hip indie bands.

cjericho likes this.
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm not in good shape, but I'm stocky enough to withstand the bouncing. Just raise those arms up and use elbows gor defense.

I do cop to the humblebrag of going to see cool bands.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Batman, not sure if you know this, but a key band member is not touring this year:

That was announced the night before their Super Bowl show. And a few days after their summer concert tickets went on sale. A lot of unhappy folks.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Holy moly, Dwight Yoakam, Steve Earle, and Lucinda Williams are touring together this summer. As the kids say: I can't even ...

FileNotFound likes this.
  6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Great triple bill but damn, no Toronto date

7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I just liked the juxtaposition.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Got $100 tickets for seats about 60 yards from the stage to see Paul Simon this fall.

Saw him 8-10 years ago and he was great. His opening act, Bob Dylan, was indecipherable.

Saw Judy Collins last week; her voice, with just a piano and acoustic guitar in a great concert hall, was really good, though she spent too much time telling bad jokes and pointless stories instead of singing.

9. albert777

albert777 Active Member

Got our tickets for the second weekend of Jazzfest in New Orleans. We've got a room in the city (well, Metairie, which is the inner 'burbs) for Saturday night and will catch the final two days. Schedule of headliners isn't as strong as in recent years: Aerosmith on Saturday and Steve Miller on Sunday. But the schedule for the best of the locals breaks just right: Better Than Ezra and Cowboy Mouth on Saturday; Anders Osbourne, Galactic and the Radiators on Sunday. I'm pumped about seeing the Rads, who haven't played Jazzfest in several years. Also, Walter Trout is playing Saturday and I want to catch some of his show.

For those who are interested, here are the headliners for the other five days: Friday 4/27, Sting & Sturgill Simpson; Saturday 4/28, Rod Stewart, Jack Johnson & Bonnie Raitt; Sunday 4/29, Jimmy Buffett, David Byrne (??) & John Mayall; Thursday 5/3, Lionel Richie & Lyle Lovett; Friday 5/4, Beck, Sheryl Crow & Jason Isbell.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Got free tickets to Broken Social Scene tonight, so I'll go ... could be a fun show.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There is a very finite time when a band goes from "They're touring again!" to "They're still touring?"

Figure most acts over 40 haven't had a radio hit for a few years. I realize the money is great (especially when your audience is making some decent coin) - but I also know these bands probably vowed to never be one of those acts that keeps playing the old stuff like a travelling jukebox.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted