1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concerts thread: Best/Worst/Next/Last one you attended?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Just saw Randy Newman at the Lowell Summer Music Series at the National Historical Park. Just him outdoors on stage with a grand piano. Outstanding. What a twisted mind, and I mean that in the best possible way as a compliment.

lcjjdnh likes this.
  2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I saw Billy Joel this past Wednesday at MSG. Really disappointed. His voice was terrible and the show was just incredibly overproduced.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

lcjjdnh and Donny in his element like this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Saw a band this week, they played for about two hours, no light shows, no elaborate sets or costume changes, no dancers - it was great.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Apparently no name, also ... ;)

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It was Pablo Cruise. I really can't imagine they were that much better back in "their day." Still smooth and tight, great rhythm section.

misterbc likes this.
  7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Wow, you got that right. Hadn't heard of Pablo Cruise in at least 20 years, but they got it going on here ...

8. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

A subset of Steely Dan and that's fine with me. Pablo Cruise and Little River Band play damn fine music.

HC likes this.
  9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Gonna go check out Dawes tomorrow night. Fair price, great venue.

FileNotFound and I Should Coco like this.
  10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

What a wonderful songwriter, and a twisted sense of humor. The only songwriter I know of who wrote a funny song about nuclear war with "Political Science". I saw him when "Good Old Boys" premiered at Symphony Hall in Atlanta. Ry Cooder opened, fuggin' amazing, and the only time I've gotten to see him. Newman did his hits during the first half of the show, solo, and then played the "Good Old Boys" album in its entirety with his uncle Emil Newman conducting the orchestra. Emil has done many Hollywood sound tracks, he's quite good himself.

Newman also told a story while doing stage patter regarding "Sail Away". It was originally written for a short film. The director wanted to get three songwriters to do songs to accompany three shorts. Newman's was to be set on a sailing ship as a musical. The first part was the captain and sailors singing and dancing while doing sailorly things, battening down hatches, etc. The second part comes after the ship arrives in port, and it is only then that you realize that it is a slaver. The captain makes a pitch to the locals, trying to con them into sailing back to America with him. Knowing that puts an entirely different and blackly sardonic twist on the lyric.

"Sail Away"

Randy Newman

In America you'll get food to eat
    Won't have to run through the jungle
    And scuff up your feet
    You'll just sing about Jesus and drink wine all day
    It's great to be an American

Ain't no lions or tigers ain't no mamba snake
    Just the sweet watermelon and the buckwheat cake
    Everybody is as happy as a man can be
    Climb aboard little wog sail away with me

Sail away sail away
    We will cross the mighty ocean into Charleston Bay
    Sail away-sail away
    We will cross the mighty ocean into Charleston Bay

In America every man is free
    To take care of his home and his family
    You'll be as happy as a monkey in a monkey tree
    You're all gonna be an American

Read more: Randy Newman - Sail Away Lyrics | MetroLyrics

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He did a song, possibly off a new album to be released next month, which was a dialogue between Jack and Bobby Kennedy about the Bay of Pigs and Cuban singer Celia Cruz. Also about the Redskins. Cannot describe except to say both insane and hilarious.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Went to night 1of Classic West at Dodger Stadium.

Eagles were outstanding. Vince Gill and Deacon Frey filled in well for Glenn Frey and the band paid proper respect to him.

Doobie Brothers were OK and Steely Dan bored me. When you play a festival, you have to play your hits, and both played a number of unfamiliar songs.

No Rikki Don't Lose That Number or Deacon Blues.

The first two groups played about an hour each, which cut into their repertoires. Eagles went about 2:15.

Draft saved Draft deleted