1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concerts thread: Best/Worst/Next/Last one you attended?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Currently at Farm Aid 2016.

Tim Reynolds. Man.

2. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Do farmers still need aid. It seems like it would be like going to "hedge fund " aid

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Nice. I'm jealous. I've seen Tim Reynolds a handful of times doing acoustic sets with Dave Matthews. Dude is a huge talent.

I was at the Grand Point North festival in Burlington, Vt., this weekend. Grace Potter's set on Saturday night was terrific.

Vombatus likes this.
  4. Earthman

Nice. Burlington is a fun city with a cool vibe. Some really good restaurants. Every time I visit I always wish I had more time. One Fall day
    I want to take the ferry across Lake Champlain to NYS.

5. cranberry

I've taken the ferry across several times. It's great if you have time. On Friday afternoon, we went out on the lake for a couple hours on a sloop, which was a blast. I get to Burlington at least once a year. The festival is in the park right next to the lake. Beautiful setting.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Cran,

I have to check to see if this link is still live this morning, but there was a free webcast of the concert. Here is what I posted on another sj thread:

VB

cranberry likes this.
  7. Earthman

I know that park. Really nice. Have eaten breakfast a few times at The Skinny Pancake which is right around there.

8. cranberry

Yup, the Skinny Pancake (more of a crepe place) is right across the street. Always a long line there on weekends. Try Luenig's on Church St. the next time you're up there. A hidden gem for breakfast on your trip home is Maxi's, which is about 20 minutes south of Burlington right off exit 10 of I-89 in Waterbury.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Saw power-pop legends The Posies last night at a secret pop-up show. The secret was you didn't know where it would take place until 24 hours ahead of time. Turned out to be in a cool record store not even 20 minutes away from me.

They played for about two hours with one small break for a fake encore. Gave you everything you could have wanted. Only song I remember from them that they didn't play was Suddenly Mary.

That along with Matthew Sweet from a couple years ago covers my '90s power-pop needs. Next up will be Sturgill Simpson in a couple weeks.

I Should Coco likes this.
  10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I remember the Poises (and Matthew Sweet) fondly from my college days. Never did get to see Sweet, but the Poises came through and played a club, just before "Frosting on the Beater" came out. Good guitar rock, with harmonies.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Just got back from the Americana Fest in Nashville. Cool city. Fun time. Ended up seeing:

Dwight Yoakum
    Green River Ordnance
    The Bottle Rockets
    Grant Lee Phillips
    John Paul White
    Tony Joe White
    Kacey Chambers

Tough to beat the Bottle Rockets, man. That's a really, really fun live band.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Missed out on that when they passed through town. The show was in someone's backyard. I did see the Posies open for Crowded House in Seattle in '91. They were pretty great. (And they played Suddenly Mary.)

Draft saved Draft deleted