1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concerts thread: Best/Worst/Next/Last one you attended?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

That lineup doesn't suck. Kasey Chambers is one I'd really like to see. Last I checked, she didn't play in the States much.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Best overall or my favorite overall probably The Who at Giants Stadium in 89, one of the first concerts I attended. Best song Like A Hurricane Neil Young at MSG, think was 03 or 04. Sat by couple 50-something ladies who said they were amazed. They said they saw Neil just about pass out on stage at MSG in 70s.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, she's playing opposite The Pines, who I like, but I suspect I'll be seeing her that night.

The slot that's really killing me is Thursday at 9. Larkin Poe, Amanda Shires and The Bottle Rockets all playing different places. Larkin Poe is my favorite of the three, but Jason Isbell is playing an awards show in Nashville the night before so I'd bet very heavily he's onstage with Amanda Shires. The Bottle Rockets would be my third choice, but Grant Lee Phillips is playing the same venue at 10, and I want to see him.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  4. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

We saw then last year at an outside venue in Park City, Utah. Lot of expensive cars. Lot of fancy buildings. It was a little chilly outside even in July, especially sitting on a lawn chair made of thin vinyl canvas. I had to buy a blanket at a gift shop.

Old man next to me had white wine and smelly cheese. I had a hot dog and a Coke.

Not really my type of music, but I enjoyed it and appreciated their exceptional musicianship. Really talented group.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

Last Monday at the 40 Watt here in Athens I saw Kevn Kinney (Drivin' N Cryin' lead singer) with Peter Buck on guitar. They mostly played Kinney's solo work and some DNC songs, but Buck and the guys performed a song Buck wrote that afternoon, which was interesting. How those guys learn all that stuff in a few hours is beyond me.

Bill Berry played drums for four songs and then at the very end was on stage playing guitar next to Buck., which was pretty cool. If you grew up in Athens in the 80s & 90s, it was a pretty awesome night.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Through the generosity of a client, was given the opportunity to see the Snoop Dogg/Wiz Khalifa "The High Road" show last night.
    Highs - VIP Parking and VIP meals and easy access to seats; opportunity to see Snoop Dogg in person and view his unique "laid-back" persona
    Lows - man, all the cussing, m******** this, and b**ch that; really tiring (generational thing?); I understand sampling better now, but the shouting of lyrics is not the best presentation of music IMHO.

The humongous marijuana smell, not that unpleasant.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Made a 16-hour round trip over about 30 hours to see a show at the 40 Watt. Would do it again in a heartbeat. Loved Athens. Loved that venue.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

Melvins are here next Monday, which is apparently 40 Watt's night for the over-40 crowd.

9. Mr. Sunshine

It was my first Truckers show. Diverse crowd. Frat boys. Rednecks. Yuppies. Me. Etc. Couldn' t have scripted it better. But with two kids, I'm not getting back to Athens anytime soon.

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Don't Go Back To Rockville.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I can't get there from here

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Springsteen broke the vaunted 4 hour barrier last night at Met Life Unreal show, but I'm simply exhausted today.

Draft saved Draft deleted