1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concerts thread: Best/Worst/Next/Last one you attended?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Why, Inks? Why?

What could POSSIBLY compel you to view such an abomination?

My gosh, I feel my ears start to bleed at the mere mention of this pairing.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Sister Christian AND We Built This City. What a whopper that would be to hear at the same concert. I think I'm gonna puke now.

3. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Best: Bruce at the Palladium in NYC, late 70s.

Worst: About 10 or so years ago, a friend thought they were doing us a fovor by giving us two tickets to see Rod Stewart in an arena show.

Last: The Who a couple of months ago. Disappointing.

Next: Nothing on the agenda.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Worst: Stevie Nicks at Nissan Pavilion in July 2001. It was her first show after canceling four due to illness. She was going through the motions and I let her have it on the fan fora. I got a lot of shit for that, but I tell it like it is.
    Best: Fleetwood Mac in October 2003 at Verizon Center. Whereas Stevie seemed to go a little through the motions and seemed to be in pain at the first show, she was on top of her game for this one. She moved around like she didn't do 20 years ago. I saw her during that show and I was like, "Fifty-five my ass!" She actually pointed at me during "Beautiful Child."
    Next: I have no idea. If Led Zeppelin comes back with Jason Bonham on drums, John Paul Jones on bass, Jimmy Page on guitar and Robert Plant on vocals, I'm all over it. Otherwise, it'll depend on what's out there and whether or not I'm feeling a trip.
    Last: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers with Stevie Nicks. I'd always heard that Tom Petty was dynamic on stage, but I had my doubts after hearing a long-ago concert that sounded like he was high. Even though this was supposed to be his last hurrah, I went in with an open mind. Damn if I wasn't blown away by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Great show. And Stevie Nicks wasn't half bad either. ;)

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I was 17. A big group of friends were going and a certain cheerleader I had a wicked crush on was going with them.

It paid off in the end. ;)

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Nice save, Inky. The things we do for ...

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

eff. i turned down a ticket for one of those shows. it would've been the fall of '76, i believe. bruce did six shows there.

a guy came down my dorm hall asking if anyone wanted to go, and i was in my "he's all hype" phase. man, was i wrong!!

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Best: One of the Springsteen concerts

Worst: Not sure... might be one of the times I saw Joe Grushecky and Springsteen didn't show. The man just lacks charisma on-stage.

Last: Slaid Cleaves at World Cafe Live in Philly a week ago tonight.

Next: Not sure. Might go up to Musikfest next week to check out Slaid Cleaves' set or I might just wait until the rumored October Springsteen shows to go to a concert.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Was it the night Ronnie Spector showed up and joined him for 3 songs?

10. duckncover

duckncover Member

First: Beach Boys at MacArthur Court, mid 70s. I remember being scared because the third balcony was bouncing.

Last: Sister Hazel at Crocodile Cafe. Great show. Tiny venue.

Worst: Sting at Salem Aphitheater in late 80s. Apparently he was hung up at customs and was more than an hour late taking the stage. Meanwhile, we waited hours in the 100+ degree heat. The show lasted little more than an hour. Complete ripoff.

Best: This is a tough one, because I've been to hundreds. Top 3, in no particular order:

1) U2 on the Vertigo tour, Seattle Key, second show. I was at the first night on the floor, but this one I had fantastic seats (great seats really do matter). Spectacular show. It was the fifth time I'd seen the band, but this night was something else. All of the music and politics blended perfectly. The middle of the set was the war statement, starting with Love and Peace or Else, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet the Blue Sky - When Johnny Comes Marching Home, and finishing with the band dedicating "Running to Stand Still" to the American soldiers in Iraq. This was the show they played Vertigo twice for the first time.

2) Any time I've seen Tom Petty. From second row in Seattle in late 80s to second row in Charlotte in late 90s. Always brings the goods.

3) The Who, 1987, Universal Aphitheater. This is - they promised - the last time they would play Tommy all the way through. The show featured Patty LaBelle as the Acid Queen, Phil Collins as Uncle Ernie, Billy Idol as the cousin, Elton John singing Pinball Wizard. Steve Winwood on keyboards. Wow. After playing Tommy all the way through, they played another 90 minutes of hits.

11. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Yes, that's the one. Fantastic stuff, although it was overshadowed by "It's My Life." Later it turned out the guy who wrote that was in the audience that night, so Bruce put his all into it.

(Just about that time I had seen Ronnie Spector appear with Southside Johnny in the bar at St. John's University, so she was making the rounds.)

12. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Yeah, I'm doing OK if DMB is the worst I've seen. I like their studio stuff better.

Honorable mention to any of the times I've seen Wynton Marsalis, once with a small group, twice with the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra. It's a musical history lesson, done how it should be done. Just incredible.

By the way, you and Natalie finally back together? :)

Draft saved Draft deleted