1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concerts thread: Best/Worst/Next/Last one you attended?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

A lot of people on the forum have probably watched the Brian Wilson documentary "Long Promised Road." It does a sensitive job of what's going on with Wilson. I liked it a lot. Growing up in the Great Lakes region, I was never a big Beach Boys fan. But at their height, they could not be ignored.

2. Mr._Graybeard

Sorry to say, I came down with COVID at the end of the month and couldn't make the Zombies concert. My daughter said Rod Argent's keyboard work was excellent, and the audience was a surprisingly broad mix of ages. She said they met a group that was following the Zombies tour like they were the Grateful Dead.

3. Mr._Graybeard

Southern Culture on the Skids coming to my area in October. It's in a cabaret venue, so I'll be wearing clothes that'll weather the chicken fat stains.

4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Upcoming:

Tonight: Dawes and Bahamas playing two collaborative sets.

Next Friday: Father John Misty and Suki Waterhouse

Sept. 22: Jimmy Eat World

Hermes likes this.
  6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

So it was actually Dawes and Bahamas playing together all night. They went back and forth with a Dawes song followed by a Bahamas song, rinse, repeat. Really cool concept. Bahamas can shred a little bit on guitar. Didn't know a ton about him but came away pretty impressed by the end of the show. Good time.

FileNotFound likes this.
  7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I got free tickets from work - in a suite! - for the missus and I are going to see the Eagles tomorrow night in Toronto (the latest leg of their Hotel California tour opens here tonight). Neither of us have seen them before (saw Don Henley solo a million years ago) and while it's not something I ever would have paid for it should be good.

FileNotFound and HC like this.
  8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Saw Interpol and Spoon in Asheville last Saturday. I felt 20 again.

TigerVols and DanielSimpsonDay like this.
  9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

11. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

One day, I hope to see this wonderful English band:

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Quick reviews:

* Father John Misty was awesome on Friday. I've seen him three times and this was by far the best of the three. Could have been the combo of a great Friday night and an outdoor venue that helped, but he brought an energy I hadn't seen before. The new stuff really popped, especially Chloe, as he had a horns section with him to help with that one. Definitely worth seeing if he hits your town.

* Charly Bliss/Jimmy Eat World. I was surprised at how much I liked Charly Bliss. Awesome energy, and the lead's family was in town for the show so I think she had a little extra pep because of it. Jimmy Eat World was good, not face melting, as a previous review noted. They played the hits and threw in a few new songs. The crowd was interesting. Venue was really packed for a Tuesday night. I expected a bit of an older crowd since the band's real heyday was in the early aughts, but it was mixed. One small complaint: I've never seen a band come out and play a one-song encore. That was a bummer. Usually at least three songs.

Draft saved Draft deleted