1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concerts thread: Best/Worst/Next/Last one you attended?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

I’m looking at Pet Shop Boys and New Order at the Hollywood Bowl on Oct. 2.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Foo Fighters. On Father's Day. At Madison Square Garden. Proof of vaccination required for entry.

Beyond pumped

Wenders likes this.
  3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Good to see this thread be relevant again!

It looks like my first live music in two years will be the Menzingers in late August, but really hoping to catch something before that.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Just heard a guy praising a local concert series because Lita Ford is playing there.

Hey, it's free.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

Just bought tickets for Sleater-Kinney and Wilco show in August. I have no idea how I'll feel about being part of a crowd at that point - certainly wouldn't like it now despite being vaccinated.

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I'm going to go out on a limb and say 99 percent of people at a Sleater-Kinner and Wilco show will be vaccinated.

It’s the hazmat suit of concerts. A Ted Nugent show is a Wuhan bat booth.

Wenders and I Should Coco like this.
  7. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Bumping for review of my first concert since the summer of 2019. Saw GNR last night at Fenway Park (originally scheduled for last summer, but, well...). GREAT show. Fenway is NOT a great venue in terms of sightlines and sound but it was still thoroughly enjoyable. While we were watching mainly the screens -- so I had no sense of the on-stage chemistry between Axl, Duff and Slash, they sounded tight and energetic with a definite GNR edge, and all three of them looked fit and energized. They played for well over 2 hours and with an outstanding setlist (though I was sorry they didn't play "Coma", which they played in 2017 at Gillette). Crowd definitely skewed old -- I'm 51 and was a senior in HS when Appetite was released, so right in their wheelhouse -- almost everyone seemed within 10 years of me in either direction. And crowd DEFINITELY skewed pasty and overweight. The years haven't been kind to the Gen X/late Boomer hard rock scene. If they're coming your way, you should definitely go -- they're really the last great band from the pre-grunge years and they definitely give you your money's worth. The crowd was also largely sitting down in our section (another sign of an aging fan base), but we moved over and up for a couple of songs and people were on their feet getting into it.

As far as Wolfgang Van Halen's Mammoth (the opening act -- regrettably Smashing Pumpkins, who would have been the opener last summer, didn't end up doing the tour) -- we missed all but the last 2 songs of their set. But from what I heard -- while I wanted and expected to say they suck -- they didn't. They were quite good from the little we saw.

Finally -- it was great to be out in a big crowd on a beautiful summer night hearing live rock n' roll. With the Delta surge, I was a little nervous (not worried about getting sick from a breakthrough but I'd hate to pass it along to a kid or an immuno-compromised person; the unvaxxed by choice can go fuck themselves) and did mask up in the concourse, but not in the open air during the show.

I Should Coco and FileNotFound like this.
  8. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

I love to attend shows at a little venue south of Madison, Wis., called the Stoughton Opera House. It probably seats 200-300 and books a lot of second-tier acts like Nick Lowe and Iris Dement. I've seen old-timers like Tom Paxton, Judy Collins and Roger McGuinn perform there along with up-and-comers like Sarah Jarosz and Leyla McCalla. International groups like Huun-Huur-Tu and Ladysmith Black Mambazo.

The 2020-2021 season at the Opera House has a couple of interesting shows coming up: Rhiannon Giddens and a Colorado band called DeVotchKa. Lowe w/Los Straitjackets and Taj Mahal are also on the bill, but they're already sold out because they're holdovers from the last virus-limited season.

FileNotFound likes this.
  9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Rhiannon Giddens is crazy talented. Would love to see her.

FileNotFound and Neutral Corner like this.
  10. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

Leyla McCalla is Giddens old bandmate w/the Carolina Chocolate Drops ... McCalla has a Haitian creole heritage that comes through brilliantly in her music.

Chocolate Drops leader Dom Flemons was at Stoughton a few years as part of the Pokey LaFarge review. Are you familiar with Pokey? He's another talent from Downstate Illinois.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Isbell tweeted thanks to an Austin ER doc for saving Amanda's life last night. She put something on IG about it as well. No other details are out there.

FileNotFound and Tighthead like this.
  12. John

John Well-Known Member

I saw Wilco & Sleater-Kinney tonight at an outdoor venue in Atlanta. First live show in at least 18 months. So amazingly good. I needed that.

You had to show proof of vaccine or recent negative test to get it, which was encouraging.

Draft saved Draft deleted