1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concerts thread: Best/Worst/Next/Last one you attended?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Here's a dirty secret nobody will ever admit to because they don't want to sound sad: Going to concerts solo is awesome.

There's none of that "Is the person next to me enjoying this?" that plagues so many of my concert-going experiences when the other person either doesn't know the artist or is only a casual fan.

There's nothing worse than having a transformative experience in concert, look over and the other person you're with is yawning. Kills it. Absolutely kills the experience.

Plus, you're at an event where there are thousands of people who have the exact same interest as you. It's not like you don't know what to talk about with the stranger sitting next to you.

FileNotFound, I Should Coco and HC like this.
  2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

True that. Truly great Arcade Fire show four years ago nipped a potential relationship dead in the bud - I was deep into it, she went from having a great time to WTF? Went to see AF solo last year, had a great time.

Reminds me...still have a ticket to unload for Florence + the Machine Friday night in Boston. Can a brother get a little help?

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Van Morrison is coming to my town next month, can't wait.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I've been married 24-plus years, and have attended many more concerts with a friend or solo than I have with my wife. And she's gone to several shows with her friends over the years.

Our musical tastes occasionally intersect ... but it only goes so far.

True love means your wife doesn't have to go to Rush concerts. :)

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm jealous. I've wanted to see Van for years but it's never worked out.

I understand his shows are kind of a crapshoot depending on his mood, but I'd take my chances.

6. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

Hope it works out. Saw him last month. Was so looking forward to it and was so disappointed. Went through the motions. Mailed it in. Plus, I wanted him to go deep into his catalog and that wasn't happening. Large outdoor venue was not the right setting either. But I saw Van, so there's that.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I like going to concerts solo the same reason why I like going to movies solo. I'm there to see the show, not to talk to others. Plus, you end up meeting cool people around you. You already have one big thing in common ... easy talking point.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Massive fan but never had the chance to see him but those who have always come away disappointed. At this point in his career I will make due with the expanded version of It's Too Late To Stop Now, one of the greatest live albums ever made

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  9. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Update: My buddy made it, but I was ready to go solo.
    Anyway, what a great freaking show. Really liked being able to see The Struts in that small a venue (maybe 1,000 people, probably more like 750). Luke Spiller had the crowd in the palm of his hand from the start. They sounded great and were super tight, and I felt like the new songs really took off live, much more so than on tracks I had heard. Now, though, having heard those live, I'll like hearing the new stuff more with that in mind.
    I always like it in a venue like that when the act interacts with the crowd. Spiller was great with that throughout. They played for about two hours and included "Dancing in the Dark," making all fellow sports journalists in the crowd shriek with delight. Also, Spiller's a gem. Three costume changes.
    I left there telling myself never to miss them whenever they get close again. Terrific show, and can't believe I only needed $20 to see them.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I find this extremely hard to believe.

Fleetwood Mac Guitarist Sues Bandmates for Kicking Him Out of the Group

"Buckingham was with the band from 1975-1987 before leaving of his own volition to pursue a solo career, and rejoined the group in 1997, according to the complaint. He says there has never been a written band agreement and the group just agreed that each of the members had the right to veto any major decision and shared equally in the band's ownership.

"During the entire time Buckingham has been a member of Fleetwood Mac, the Band has conducted itself as a partnership with each of the participating members having veto rights over Band decision making and an equal share of the proceeds earned by Fleetwood Mac," writes attorney Barry Mallen in the complaint."

That's insane. Surprised a lawsuit hadn't happened already, considering the members pre-Buckingham and since.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Dang. They played in Richmond a few weeks ago but it was a Monday night and I couldn't make it. A buddy of mine went and said it was a great show.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm sure Buckingham thought they all had the right to veto any major decision and that they all shared ownership.

I'd also bet Mick Fleetwood and John McVie heard that and laughed their asses off.

Draft saved Draft deleted