1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concerts thread: Best/Worst/Next/Last one you attended?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 1, 2007.

1. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Last: Paul McCartney on Friday night at MTS Center in Winnipeg. Saw the Fab Four on Sullivan when I was 11 and living in Wpg. so it came full circle for me. He was my favourite Beatle, very close 3 way race though, mainly because I just liked his songs. I don’t dissect any of their stuff I just marvel and enjoy.
    The show was surreal to me and as I turned out to many others as well. I couldn’t believe PM threw a rock and roll party and invited me. The sound quality was the best I’ve ever heard in a stadium/arena and the content was astounding. He has a set 39 song list lasting 3 hours on the nose and except for a few warbles his voice was v good and got stronger as the concert progressed. What guitar player hasn’t attempted “Blackbird”? It’s the demarcation line as to whether you can actually play the instrument.
    The evening was magical, the songs both old and new were exceptional and it was Paul McCartney and his amazing band blowing the lid off the arena. Take a minute, sit back, use your imagination and you’ll get the picture.

TigerVols, I Should Coco and HC like this.
  2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I've seen Jason Isbell five times now, and last night was the best of those shows by far. Last night of the tour for them, so they seemed to have some extra juice. Still buzzing over that show.

FileNotFound likes this.
  3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Is there a bigger roll of the dice than seeing a band on their last show of a tour? You might see something amazing and you might see the bassist leave halfway through the final song because he wants the fuck out of there.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I grew up in L.A. That was frequently the end of the tour for bands touring from east to west. Saw a lot of shows where the lead singer's voice was shot.

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

That's always great. They take it down an octave and you realize may as well be listening to yourself sing in the shower.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Hmph. </indignantbassist>

If the bassist is leaving halfway through the final song, he already told the rest of the band he’s quitting.

7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Who did that?

8. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I have what might be an odd question: Seeing The Struts in a small club Tuesday night (tomorrow) with a buddy, but there's a chance my friend won't be able to make it. Being a Tuesday night and late notice, not many other options for people being able to go. No big deal; my friend may still be able to make it.
    But, at last minute, if I'm flying solo, is that a weird thing to do? I mean, pretty sure I won't stand out much in a packed club that's SRO anyway, it'll be nice and loud, and hell, might be even better not to have any distractions. But, it's not something I've ever done before - go to a show by myself. Has anybody done this? How was the experience?

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I've done it plenty. It only feels weird and kinda boring until the show starts. Then who cares who you're standing next to. Maybe you'll make new friends.

FileNotFound likes this.
  10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I went solo to Johnny Marr last week. Had a great time. Noticed a hell of a lot of other people who looked like they were doing the same thing.

11. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I go solo.

Lisa Fischer up next.

EDIT: Then Gladys Knight

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  12. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

I go solo often. My wife and I don't always share the same musical interests, and I can't always find a buddy to go. I enjoy it. May end up going to a small show tomorrow night by myself. I do my thing and enjoy.

Draft saved Draft deleted