1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concerts thread: Best/Worst/Next/Last one you attended?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

The last I saw was Beach House, a great dream-pop band from Baltimore. They sounded great but didn't play any of my favorites, which was a surprise, as they have a huge catalog.

terrier and Hermes like this.
  2. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

Last: Radiohead in July
    Next: Jeffrey Foucault in October
    But there's a good chance I see/hear another concert before then.

Good spring/summer for me:
    Radiohead
    Drive-By Truckers/Tedeschi Trucks Band
    Justin Townes Earle
    Mandolin Orange

At a festival in Pasadena:
    Neil Young
    Robert Plant
    Pretenders
    Jack White
    Violent Femmes
    Gary Clark Jr.
    Kamasi Washington
    North Mississippi All-Stars
    Los Lobos
    Milk Carton Kids
    Tramples By Turtles
    The Revolution
    Margo Price
    Hurray for the Riff Raff

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Just saw Butch Walker on Friday night. Just an amazingly great show.

Great news today: Little Steven and the Disciples of Soul are playing a club in town in December. Been hoping for that.

Also have Johnny Marr and Elvis Costello coming up in the next couple of months.

Tweener likes this.
  4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Butch is my favorites. Seen him about 20 times. Adding another in two weeks and one day.

Anything new? Sounds like it's kind of a greatest hits show. Wonder if the set lists vary.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

He's got one new song he's playing. Other than that, yeah, pretty much greatest hits. (I was hoping he'd bust out some older stuff, and when he opened with "Uncomfortably Numb" I figured it would be a good night.) No one's posted set lists from the other two shows yet.

I suspect the encore will vary, because he just walked out by himself with an acoustic and admitted he hadn't thought about what he would play.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Saw Paul Simon last night. He and his band were outstanding. Less outstanding were the fans trying to video the show on their smartphones, producing an evening of annoying camera flashes and the like.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Drive By Truckers were great last week, closing out a brewery festival in RVA.

Next up: Father John Misty and Jason Isbell (again). Not together, mind you, but at the same venue five days apart.

FileNotFound likes this.
  8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Just got in from Helloween.

I am sore, sweaty and mostly deaf.

It was great.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The Father John Misty show was freaking excellent. Great mix of the new album and some older stuff. So glad he played Holy Shit.

10. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

How many college-aged chicks in mom jeans tho?

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, not a fan of that trend. There were plenty.

12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

When I saw Kiss perform in 1990, the typical garb for female audience members were stiletto heels, leather mini-skirts and push-up bras. When I attended Lollapalooza last year, the girls were wearing shawls and clogs. Anyone who feels this is a legitimate improvement should not be going to concerts. Go home and read Beowulf.

Chuck Klosterman - Zen and The Art of Yngwie

Draft saved Draft deleted