1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concerts thread: Best/Worst/Next/Last one you attended?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

The Pixies are not, to me, an ampitheater band, or one I would naturally pair with Weezer. If you have Spotify or whatever maybe check out their first 3-4 albums, up through Tromp le Monde.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Foo Fighters Thursday night in Toronto were great despite the abomination of a venue that is Rogers Centre. Hard to walk away from one of their shows feeling you didn't get your money's worth. Killer covers of "Under my Wheels" and "Blitzkrieg Bop" too. The Struts were one of two openers and I thought they were terrific, a great throwback to British glam rock of the 70s. Luke Spiller, who joined the Foos to do the Freddie Mercury part on "Under Pressure", is a born frontman if I have ever seen one.

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I always wonder if the Struts wouldn't be the biggest band in the world if they'd been born 30 years earlier. It's not a style of music that grabs me anymore, but they are fantastic at what they do.

Batman and Huggy like this.
  4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I may be better leaving it with their '92 show, stuck in at a small college between nights opening for U2 in Boston and Providence. Got knocked on my ass, literally, by the crowd surge when they took the stage and hit the opening chords of "Where is My Mind?" Scared the shit out of the former Mrs. T.
    Still kicking myself for missing their '05 acoustic show at Newport (although it's on a DVD - it's great, with a finale of Kimmy singing, well, you know). Interesting that a 21-song set included nothing from "Tromp le Monde."

Hermes likes this.
  5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I agree, they would have been massive in the MTV era. After all, Slade had a brief comeback then too.

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Speaking of bands that sound old, what is up with Greta Van Fleet? Do they do anything that isn't a Led Zeppelin ripoff?

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

They are as good a Zeppelin tribute band as I have ever heard, no doubt about that, but I don't think that warrants the love they get from Rolling Stone and others.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

They're just kids, so they have time. Good skills, but unless they can come up with good original music they're going to be a niche band who fades.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Anyone see this Ticketmaster settlement?

Schlesinger v. Ticketmaster Settlement Ticket Codes & Vouchers

I have 10 vouchers worth $2.25 and 10 worth two free tickets to select events. Already used one pass for two free Butch Walker tickets -- saved $70!

They are all good til halfway through 2020, so I'm going to be saving a lot of money on concert tickets.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I got a pair of tickets for a "Lost 80s" show using that. Flock of Seagulls, baby! Wang Chung!

The shows available here mostly sucked, but at least they added a second theater to the listings. Last time they did it we could only get lawn seats at a terrible amphitheater. Now they include some shows at a decent theater downtown.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The Hold Steady in Philly Friday ... Almost Killed Me. What a show. Great to be back with the unified scene for a night.

And Oscar's, a great dive bar right in the sweet part of the city (the part with the bars and restaurants), was an excellent pregame spot. Cash only. Dark and dank. Great jukebox, cold swill. Great spot.

Draft saved Draft deleted