1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concert or sporting event

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Splendid Splinter, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Do you prefer attending a concert or a sporting event? And I know there are many former sports journalists on this board, so it’s not to cover the sporting event. It’s to enjoy the game/match-up.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well depends on who is playing - at the concert and the game.

Game 7 of a Caps playoff series? It would take being ON STAGE with the Foo Fighters to get me away from that.

But, in general, give me a concert. I get enough sports.

3. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Live music is unrivaled

DanielSimpsonDay and Hermes like this.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I prefer watching sports on TV - where the snacks are cheaper and the bathroom doesn’t have a line or overflowing with sewage. I think sports are better at home.

I’ve livestreamed a bunch of concerts during the pandemic. They just aren’t the same as being there. You don’t get that crackle of energy from the crowd.

I Should Coco likes this.
  5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Sporting event, without question. Never been into going to concerts unless I or someone I know is playing. I suppose it helps that most events I go to are smaller in nature and hard to find on TV, if they're broadcast at all.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, it takes a lot to get me off the couch for a game. The only tickets I pay for are season basketball tix to the alma mater, and even then attending 2-3 games is enough.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I really enjoy attending Capitals games, VCU hoops games and the local minor-league soccer team's games. I did try to make a trip a year up to Camden Yards to catch a few O's games, and I'm hopeful that may be in the cards later this summer in some fashion. But outside of that, yeah, give me TV. I'd have no interest in ever attending a Final Four or a Super Bowl.

Concerts of all varieties are amazing, though. I've missed them way more than live sports in this whole thing. I was supposed to see Sturgill Simpson and Tyler Childers on March 13, right after this shit all started. Ugh.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Final Fours are awful unless you've got an incredible seat. By using football stadiums, the NCAA is stealing money from at least 30,000 people.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

I liked concerts so much better when every single person around me wasn't holding up their phone for half the show.

I'd love to go to a game of a sport I don't cover. Top of the list is an Aussie Rules Football game.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I went to a concert on March 6 - Dirty Dozen Brass Band and the Squirrel Nut Zippers in a small venue on the Upper West Side. It was great. Little did I know that was the last time I'd be anywhere until late summer. I do love live music.

Was supposed to see John Prine here and Foo Fighters in DC over the summer. Nope. And thanks to COVID, I'll never get to see Prine.

I try to go to 2-3 Yankees games and 2-3 Mets games a year, more for the social aspect of it. The pace of baseball makes it a great way to hang out and bullshit with your friends. I also try to see the Capitals in DC and at least once in every venue up this way, though the prices at Madison Square Garden make that very difficult. Comparable seats at Devils and Islanders games cost so much less.

I'll have to go back and add it up, the Caps have won the last 10 or so games I've seen live. They ought to put me on payroll.

Maybe it will be possible this year. Not optimistic.

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Last concert was Feb. 13, Phil Vassar at The Coach House in San Juan Capistrano.
    Last sports event was March 11, Ducks vs. Blues at Honda Center. It was the rescheduled game from when Jay Bouwmeester collapsed a couple of weeks prior. The Ducks had 11 games canceled, 5 home, 6 road. I didn't really miss not going.

12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted