1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"concert for n.y." dvd

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Apr 3, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah, I meant to note that as well...I'm no musical historian (at least of the good stuff), but I can't imagine there was ever a better bassist than Entwistle. He was so in control...so regal standing back there, plucking the strings with minimum effort and maximum efficiency. He really provided the foundation for The Who, yet he didn't mind Roger and Pete getting all the attention for their theatrics.

And there was some unfiltered fury running thru Pete's performance. There may never be a better moment in live music history, though, than Roger's last scream.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

allow me to also opine that zak starkey, son of ringo, is "the who's" best drummer since keith moon. 8) 8) 8)

i'm watching their four-song performance yet again. extraordinary. 8)

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

David Bowie opening by singing America on a Fisher-Price toddler's keyboard was the highlight for me.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

There's a long, excellent interview with Richards in the April GQ. It's online, but for some reason I can't post a link. He has some very funny things to say about Jagger and him stealing each other's significant others and questions about Jagger being bisexual.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Between that and his performance at the Freddy Mercury tribute, you can pretty much pencil in "awesome" anytime a benefit show features Bowie, yes?

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

He lends, gravitas, massive talent and impish charm all at once. And what a speaking/singing voice.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

that opening, followed by "heroes," was simply superb.

seriously, friends, i'd highly recommend the dvd for those who -- like me -- had waited too long.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Just watched it all on YouTube again ... definitely going to have to buy the DVD. Holy fuck that was great. And as someone who didn't grow up on The Who, I don't have any sentimental attachment to them or anything, but that's one of -- if not THE -- best live performances I've ever seen.

9. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

And in the world of other 9-11 performances, PJ and neil young doing Long Road on Tribute to Heroes was well above average, as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted