1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concert advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Aug 31, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

OK...to celebrate my sister's 40th birthday, nine of us are going to a concert tonight: Def Leppard, Foreigner and Styx. It's been YEARS since I went to a concert. It's at an open-air pavilion. Anyone have any advice on do's and don'ts?

2. rallen13

rallen13 Member

Park in the indoo garage next to the Pavillion. Don't try to park in the mall lot and walk. Get there a good hour early or parking anywhere will be hard to find. Might want to take a can of "OFF" hust in case. The last time I was there was on an early April eve and mosquitoes weren't much of an issue. Dress light, it will be very warm and humid, although they do have overhead fans to circulate the air if you have purchased a seat rather than a spot on the hillside. If you have hillside seats, be sure to take blankes to sit on.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Common sense things you should do to add to your enjoyment of the show and those around you:
    - Avoid talking/shouting into a cellphone during the show
    - Take care of eating/drinking and port-a-john/bathroom trips before the show so you're not running out during the show (it's unbelievable how many fans I see going on beer/bathroom runs during Springsteen concerts in an arena and at a stadium) disrupting the entire row of fans so he/she can get out
    - Don't get so drunk that you wind up puking during the show and then passing out
    - If you use recreational drugs, in addition to not getting caught, don't get so stoned you puke or pass out
    - Don't get into a shouting match/argument with anyone you're going with, it will just ruin it for the group
    - If it's a general admission/festival seating, be courteous to those around you and hopefully they'll respond in kind
    - If you're there with people that actually want to hear the music, avoid shouting along off-key (or on-key) to the songs (unless others in your group are doing it)
    - Given the triple-bill, I'm assuming these groups are going to be playing mostly the hits and not new stuff, so avoid shouting out requests, odds are they're going to play that song.
    - Since it's outdoors, like rallen said, bring some "OFF" or other bug repellent

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Thanks big guy. Can you believe she's 40 now?

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Also, it's rude to say out loud, "What the fuck HAPPENED to these guys????"

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

My advice would be don't go see Def Leppard, Foreigner, or Styx, much less all of them together.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Actually, I saw Foreigner back in '96 and they weren't all that good. But it's not for me...it's for my sister.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

When the joint is passed your way, don't bogart it.

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I agree on not seeing these bands.

Foreigner -- with or without Lou Gramm?
    Styx -- with or without Dennis DeYoung?
    Def Leppard -- with or without a second arm for Rick Allen?

those are the questions to ponder.

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

Don't make loud crashing noises in front of Rick Allen.

Don't stick around for Styx.

Don't stick around for Foreigner.

12. rallen13

rallen13 Member

The fact that she is turning 40 just means that YOU are getting older, meat.

Draft saved Draft deleted