1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concept albums

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Feb 14, 2019.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

To be fair, that doesn't mean it doesn't suck.

Cosmo likes this.
  2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I wear my Rush fandom like a badge of honor. I take no offense to anyone who says they suck.

PCLoadLetter and John B. Foster like this.
  3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

YOU HAVE NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED OF CUT THE SHIT

Everyone knows Queensryche for "Silent Lucidity" and that's too bad. Similar to Extreme ("More Than Words") and Mr. Big ("To Be With You"), the tune got them a lot of new fans but it also led many to toss away any notion of serious musicianship and craft.* Unlike Extreme and Mr. Big, Queensryche did not fit into a hair metal or cock rock bin, despite what their early promo photos would lead one to believe. The Warning and Rage for Order are rather experimental within the metal genre in production, time signatures and themes.

Mindcrime
    is where it really all came together. It is difficult to make a concept album set in reality without it being a re-telling of a familiar story (W.A.S.P's The Crimson Idol) or too theatrical (Savatage's Dead Winter Dead, which they parlayed into what Jon Oliva wanted them to be all along: The Trans-Siberian Orchestra). Damned if they didn't pull it off.

Mindcrime has themes of societal/structural greed, corruption and revolution interwoven with personal loneliness, loss, and addiction. Each song can stand on its own merit without the story and the themes are just as relevant today as they were in the late 80s. The album is widely considered to be a "no-skip" affair in which there are no clunkers or fillers.

Religion and sex are power plays
    Manipulate the people for the money they pay
    Selling skin, selling God
    The numbers look the same on their credit cards

Politicians say no to drugs
    While we can pay for wars in South America**

Fighting fire with empty words
    While the banks get fat
    And the poor stay poor
    And the rich get rich
    The cops get paid
    To look away
    As the one percent rules America

That excerpt, from "Spreading the Disease," could have been written and contain as much veracity today as it did 30 years ago.

You may be ashamed of liking a metal album (which is another rant for another time).

You may be ashamed of liking a Queensryche album (which, given their output from 1997-2013, is fully understandable).

There is no need to be ashamed of liking this one.

*Don't laugh; Extreme (Gary Cherone, Nuno Bettencourt) and Mr. Big (Billy Sheehan, Paul Gilbert, Pat Torpey) were loaded with talent.
    **They changed this to "Saudi Arabia" during the Empire Tour. Afghanistan doesn't quite flow, but you get the point in 2019.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  4. DanielSimpsonDay

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I love you the most.

6. DanielSimpsonDay

The only things I feel strongly about are heavy metal and posting pictures on internet message boards.

This is home now.

John B. Foster likes this.
  7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Agree with the former. Not sure I agree with the latter, especially when they try to counter with some bad excuses for bands and music in general.

expendable likes this.
  8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The 2011 Grammy-winning album “The Suburbs” by Arcade Fire should be included.

I Should Coco likes this.
  9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

"A Quick One" wasn't a concept album. Pete wrote "A Quick One, While He's Away" to fill out the album.

10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I don't believe the Moody Blues or Alan Parsons released anything that wasn't a concept album. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

11. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

Was the phrase 'one percent' really in the American vernacular 30 years ago?

12. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted