1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conan's new show: No Max

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Weinberg isn't following Conan to his TBS show. Rats. Only hope La Bamba is still with the show.

http://www.longislandpress.com/2010/09/25/max-weinberg-parts-ways-with-conan-obrien

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

That's unfortunate, but not entirely surprising. I hope they're able to find someone to fill the creepy perv role Max played so well.

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

"Paging spnited. Spnited to the white courtesy phone, please."
    ;D

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Bring back Joel. Those "photo documentaries" of Conan parties were classic.

5. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Good call. Joel would be awesome.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm guessing some of the fringe salaries that Conan was allowed at NBC can no longer be afforded at TBS. I heard Richter on a podcast recently joking that he made more from one episode of that PI show he was on than he will for a season as a sidekick on TBS.

I'm guessing Weinberg was paid pretty well.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I read an interview with Weinberg months ago--I think in between the TBS announcement and the start of the tour--in which he seemed oddly vague about the future w/Conan. It made me think there might have been a falling-out of sorts, which would suck considering how each guy really boosted the other's career. It also seems odd that the departure would be announced by someone else (though TBS apparently issued a joint release from Conan and Max today: http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/27/max-weinberg-announces-his-departure-from-conan-obrien-show/?partner=rss&emc=rss)

Maybe it really is just as simple as Max being in a position to do what he loves (touring with the big band) and hanging out just in case Bruce gets the band back together, but it just seems a little abrupt.

8. Mizzougrad96

Weinberg initially wasn't going to take The Tonight Show gig either. I'm not sure where Conan's show is going to be based, but if it's in LA, then I'd bet that was a large part of the reason not to do it, with $$$ being the other large part.

9. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Not just Joel, but other characters like Triumph would be great as well.
    If the show is in NY, what's the over/under Abe Vigoda will be on the first show? ;D

10. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Booooooooooooooo. Max was a very good aid to Conan. But ditto on Joel and Triumph. Triumph is a hoot.

11. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Max Weinberg: Open Heart Surgery Influenced My Decision To Leave Conan

http://www.fancast.com/blogs/2010/interviews/max-weinberg-open-heart-surgery-influenced-my-decision-to-leave-conan/

12. Mizzougrad96

Wow, I hope he's OK...

Draft saved Draft deleted