1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conan on '60 Minutes'

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, May 2, 2010.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I'm a big Conan fan. I wanted to make sure I watched. I did. For a bit. Until I fell asleep. There was nothing interesting that I saw in and out of dozing off on the couch. Nothing new anyway.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

O'Brien was incredibly lucky that NBC gave him time to develop his 'Late Night.'
    He was naive to think he'd get the same time/patience again for so much more money.
    I'm not a Leno fan, but the guy was forced out of the 'Tonight Show' when it was still the top show in it's slot.
    I have no sympathy for either, but Leno could have been whining just as O'Brien is now.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

But Leno would have been whining with $70 million instead of $30 million. I think it was a good move for Conan - you do 60 Minutes and you don't have to do any others, and I really don't think he wanted to say anything that might follow him to TBS. He's moving forward.
    I've heard Leno's side, that he had a staff to look after, that they needed jobs too, but the deal that he'd leave was signed five years ago. You'd think that would be enough of a heads up to send resumes out. I also wonder how genuine the interest from other networks was for Leno.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm sure it was very genuine.

Don't forget -- Leno had better numbers than Conan before he left, and has better numbers now that he's back. There's a reason NBC picked Leno over Conan.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Kroft could have asked Conan why his ratings were what they were and to explain how more time would have helped. But that would have been far too point-blank of a question for a celebrity story.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Terrible interview.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

First time I watched "60 Minutes" in ages. They actually have a couple correspondents who are under 60 now.

Anyway, the Conan interview was OK, but he certainly wasn't going to unload on Leno or NBC. Not sure if that's for contract reasons or if Conan has simply moved on.

Was awfully nice seeing Mrs. O'Brien on camera ... much worse things than collecting $30 million and hanging around the house with her!

But overall, not must-see TV. However, the opening piece on 500-plus illegal immigrants drowning in a canal near the border was well done.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think Conan would unload on Leno if he was allowed. It must be in his severance package that he's not allowed to say anything bad about Leno or NBC.

Some of the interviews Andy Richter has done recently were actually more revealing that the 60 Minutes spot.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The majority of Americans who watch network TV at 11:35 want to hear jokes and see celebrities. They could give a rat's ass about the behind the scenes stuff.

10. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Personally, I would have loved to hear what those last "Tonight Shows" produced under O'Brien were like behind-the-scenes (and they scored monster ratings for NBC, so somebody must be interested in that sort of thing). What was it like to work in an atmosphere where you knew you were (violently) out the door in a week's time? What was it like to be able to, literally, do almost whatever the hell you wanted because you were leaving? Were their conversations with Jeff Zucker or any other NBC suits during those shows? What was his reaction to the way Letterman and Kimmel and any comedian with any sort of platform weighed in (oft times hilariously) on the scuffle? Did he look back on what Letterman had gone through at NBC in the Post-Carson Bruhaha in a different way during all of it?

Maybe a lot of that couldn't be discussed without disparaging NBC but I was hoping to see some part of it. In the end, pretty meh.

I'll still watch him on TBS, however.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The Masturbating Bear didn't come out. Fail.

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I guess you missed that part of the interview, when he said that no one should feel sorry for him (and the $30 mil). He said no one shouldn't feel sorry and he wasn't looking for any sympathy.

Draft saved Draft deleted