1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conan (O'Brien), what is best in life?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

To return to TV on TBS
    See Leno driven before you
    And hear the lamentation of his women.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=10352884

(Conan O'Brien will host a show on TBS at 11 p.m., leading into George Lopez' hit-and-miss midnight show)

No details as of yet. I think what many want to know is, How Will This Affect Max?

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

So this is the best he can do?

I have a feeling this venture will not end well for him.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Doesn't look like the terms are out there yet, but I would guess the dollars will be quite large, maybe even eye-popping. TBS, unlike the networks, can fold it into the per-subscriber cost they charge affiliates. It's the same reason ESPN pays way more than the networks do for the NFL, even though their ratings are way way lower.

4. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Given the trouble of appeasing Fox affiliates who would have to sacrifice money from syndicated shows lost at 11 p.m., I always thought cable was the logical end point for Conan (although I was thinking FX). He'll have a lot more freedom and lower expectations on TBS, and he's done a pretty good job of keeping himself in the limelight since leaving the Tonight Show (live tour, Twitter account, etc). I think this has a chance to be a big success.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well, with this gig, he'll never have to worry about ratings. He'll also never get to beat Leno.

6. Mizzougrad96

This could have the potential to be TBS equivalent of Chappelle's Show.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Would a nightly show like Conan's be a fit for HBO?

8. Mizzougrad96

HBO tried to get the rights to show an hour-long version of Stern's radio show when the E! contract expired awhile back. They didn't come up with enough $$$ to get the deal done.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Kind of ironic that George Lopez has to move his show to midnight to accommodate Conan.

10. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Or not at all, given that Lopez wanted Conan to come to the network in the 10 p.m. slot.

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/tv/index.ssf/2010/04/why_conan_obriens_tbs_move_was.html

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sounds like Lopez was consulted before the fact:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/36437319

12. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

BTW, I must compliment Piotr on the initial post. As long as this thread isn't Haga!

Draft saved Draft deleted