1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

.coms

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by True Son, Sep 26, 2008.

1. True Son

True Son New Member

I've read a lot of posts on this board recommending that .coms are the best place to look for work out of college if at all possible. What Web sites would you recommend looking into? And how do you go about sending in your resume and whatnot to .coms? For example, I've heard that Yahoo Sports is the fastest growing sports Web site there is, but how do you go about inquiring about job openings for yahoo freaking .com?

2. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

a) They find you
    b) You know people

3. True Son

True Son New Member

Yeah, that's a helpful response. Thanks a lot man.

Anyone else want to offer some actual advice?

4. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

I'm serious.

Being well established and having them throw a bag of cash at you OR some serious networking is the way to crack a major Web site like Yahoo.

5. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

http://careers.yahoo.com/

6. True Son

True Son New Member

So, odds are right out of college yahoo isn't a realistic goal. What about some of the smaller .coms? Say rivals or something like that?

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Rivals or Scout are much more realistic.

If you don't graduate until next summer I'd look into MLB.com as well.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

There are newspaper jobs still around. Develop multimedia skills and parley that into something that a .com could use.

While .coms are throwing money around, they aren't throwing cash at a no-name kid.

9. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Good advice. And the papers probably would love having a multidimensional young editor they can hire for peanuts, too.

10. True Son

True Son New Member

So how do I go about sending clips, resume and whatnot to rivals or scout?

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, let me say this.

In the past, we HAVE made occasional hires right out of college. People who gained experience while in college, have some clips and references and who impressed us with their resume and interviews.

We have nothing of that sort open now, and we obviously haven't made every hire at the entry level. Depends on who leaves and what level of experience we have to replace.

But it has been done. And in fact, getting somebody young and eager to prove themselves -- and let's be honest, at an entry level salary -- actually has benefits.

Don't know what Morgan has open right now, though.

12. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

While I don't have as much time in the biz, I would have to disagree from a personal standpoint. Either that or I must suck at what I do. I can write web (CSS, (X)HTML, PHP), write a gamer, write a column, shoot photography, edit photography, shoot and edit video and produce audio podcasts and I am still unemployed - after 6 months of searching.

I would lean more toward, "It is who you know, not what you know."

Draft saved Draft deleted