1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Computer question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Angola!, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I assume I could plug into the router?
    I can't move the router because it is attached to my roommate's computer and his server, so unless I want to have my computer in his office I would rather buy the wireless card to keep it in my room.

2. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Honestly, at this point I'd say get a new 'puter. Especially since you have a four-year-old Dell.

I got a new computer at BestBuy. It cost less than $700 including the warranty and it works great.

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

That Dell would sell a computer with 128MB of RAM for a Windows XP machine is asinine. XP needs a minimum of 256MB to run properly, 512MB is preferable. (Just another reason to hate Dell.)

New computer, upgrade the old, it's really up to you. (Although if I were in your shoes, I would get a new one -- which I just did last week, new HP laptop :D ) But if you decide to upgrade, I second whoever said 1GB of RAM. And once you get the memory dropped in, and install the wireless card, ANTIVIRUS AND ANTISPYWARE! Immediately! Do not do anything else until you do those things. (Actually, you really should do those first, before doing anything else.)

Chances are, even with a new machine, you will still need to drop in a wireless card as most desktops do not ship with wireless as an option.

If you do get a new computer, keep in mind:
    1. Vista isn't as scary as some have made it out to be.
    2. Buy the <expletive deleted> Easy Transfer Cable to move your stuff from your old computer. It may be $35, but it will save you lots of aggravation.

Good luck!

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

A new computer isn't really necessary. A quick search on memory for that unit brings up Memory.com's list of goodies. They are all reasonably priced. It looks, based on that page, that you have only two slots in the PC. I would guess that Dell installed two 64MB chips and sent it on the way. If I were you, I would buy the two 1GB chips and then be off to the races (2GB is the max that system will support).

The other factor, wireless, isn't costly at all. Check with your roommate on which standard he is using a, b, g or the new stuff. From there, you can run out to Best Buy and pick up a wireless card or USB wireless adapter for about $50.

So, between the two 1GB chips ($65/each) and the wireless nic (~$50), you'll only spend about $200 (with tax).

What you really should verify is your free disk space. If you are running low on hard drive space, that will be problem. So, either clear up some of the junk or add a second hard drive to the mix.

And, contrary to Rosie, I'm not too happy with Vista. So, I can't really side with her on this one.

Draft saved Draft deleted