1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Computer question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Angola!, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I am looking to upgrade my desktop computer so I won't have to use my work laptop at home as much anymore.
    How much will it cost to upgrade the memory?
    How much will it cost to make it so I can use wireless on a desktop?

I am looking to spend no more than $200. My computer is a Dell with standard memory and it is so slooooooow it is ridiculous.
  2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

In theory this is true, but I would rather just spend the $200 to upgrade my present computer and not buy a new one. Though, if I kept my present monitor maybe the new computer wouldn't cost as much?
  3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes you can. Adding a wireless card and buying a wireless router, along with adding more memory should cost you less than 200 bucks.
    So easy in all, even I can do it.
  4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

How old is your current computer? Adding new memory is always a good thing, but you need to know a couple things first. Is your computer upgradeable? (Most are, some aren't.) How much memory do you have now? Do you have proper anti-virus and anti-spyware programs running? (Spyware will grind your computer speed to a screeching halt.)
    Do you want to move your computer around from room to room? If not, I would say wireless really isn't necessary.
    If your current computer is five years old or more, I would recommend buying a new CPU unit, forget upgrading.
  5. Five years? I try to change laptops every three, and even that seems like a slow pace.

But to the point -- slap 1GB of ram in that beyotch and start poppin'
  6. OTD

OTD Active Member

We need more information on your computer.

If it's just memory you need, that can be done for less than $200. I just added 1 GB to my Dell and it was about 80 bucks.

Have you tried running disk check and the other utilities? That might help some too.

Do a spyware check. There are several good free programs to download.
  7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

My computer is about 4 years old.
    I am not sure how big my memory is now, but here is what all the numbers say on the general information area:

Dell Dimension DIM2400
    Celeron (R) CPU 2.40GHz
    2.39 GHz, 128 MB of RAM

As far as the wireless, I have to use it because it is the only internet connection in the house. I can't run spyware stuff because my desktop hasn't been online in four months.

Thanks in advance for any help.
  8. OTD

OTD Active Member

OK, you should be able to boost the memory. I went to crucial.com and found this:

Go for the 1 GB. This should help quite a bit.

Crucial is a good place to get memory. It's much cheaper than Dell and they have a good return policy, which I have used in the past.

You say you have wireless, but you haven't been online?
  9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Thanks for the memory info.

I haven't been online because I don't have a way to connect to wireless with my desktop.
  10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i'm confused as to why you have wireless with a desktop.
  11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Because my roommate only has wireless and doesn't want to pay to hook my computer up to the land line. He has his own server that I connect through and it is just easier if I use the wireless.
  12. OTD

OTD Active Member

You can get a wireless card for your computer. They're not too expensive, maybe 50 bucks.
Draft saved Draft deleted