1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Computer problems ... need help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Nov 18, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

When I boot my PC laptop up, it goes along normally and then I get an error message that says explorer.exe has a problem, it at first says cancel, then says OK. If I click it either way, it takes me to a blue screen of nothing
    I can get on task manager, and I can things to launch that way, but not IE. I tried reinstalling IE, but that didn't seem to do any good.
    I think what I did is that I downloaded a virus, when I downloaded Beowulf off bit torrent and it has mucked things up.
    A coworker compared it to complaining about getting your wallet stolen while you were at the strip club doing cocaine.
    Any advice?

2. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Harsh but true. Karma's a bitch sometimes.

3. "explorer.exe" does not refer to Internet Explorer. It refers to the Windows' shell (desktop, file browser, taskbar, ect). While this is not detrimental to your computer, not having it start will force you to manually start everything. I would suggest you do a System Restore to before you attempted to download the movie. If that does not work, then it is quite possible you have to reformat your hard drive and reinstall Windows. Make sure you transfer all important files to another hard drive first.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Yup. This is true. You really need to just reinstall Windows.

However, the real issue could end up being something worse. You could have a bad sector on the hard drive. So, after reinstalling Windows, you will want to run scan disk as well as defrag (if you haven't done that in a while, not good).

Draft saved Draft deleted